About Seton Hall

I just accepted into Seton Hall’s accelerated Physucian Assistant program with about $21500 a year. This is my biggest scholarship offer so far and I was very excited, however after reading many threads, I’ve only heard complaints about Seuon Hall. Is it really that bad? The campus seemed nice and the small to medium size of admitted students was appealing. Anyone who knows anything about the school or program please share! How is the social life, classrooms, dining hall, party scene etc. really just anything

My DD was accepted and with scholarships it’s highly appealing. We live within 30 minutes so it’s off-putting to her even thoughshe will live on campus. SHU has solid programming and has always been well regarded (I grew up in the area as well.) That said, today we attended their open house and here’s what we came away with:

Beautiful Sunday in NJ - sunny, clear, crisp February air, no wind. We did not see ANY students hanging around campus. None! Dining hall was pretty empty in the noonish hour. Granted, it’s Sunday of a holiday weekend (not sure if they’re off for Pres Day tomorrow) but to not see any students really was weird. Even if they’re off tomorrow the campus was EMPTY.

Freshman Housing only guaranteed for 1150 kids. Once they get that number of housing deposits be it Feb 17 or May 1, no guaranteed freshman housing. Im not sure of a typical freshman class size and they claim 80% life on campus, but I found the number restrictive. There’s was also a “get it while you can” vibe by the staff at an Accepted Students session. BUT - I know a few recent SHU families and haven’t heard of housing issues.

It is and always has been a high commuter school. Not kids just living off-campus (and formally termed a commuter) but commuting from home. There are great student services to get the kids involved in campus and it’s highly stressed & encouraged for the commuters to join as well. But again, campus itself was very quiet today. I follow SHU on Instagram & they are active in their offerings with club, student, and academic activities. If your kid is a joiner, it’ll probably be fine. But if your kid is introverted, it may be tough. I don’t have the number but their freshman retention rate was considerably lower than other schools in my daughter’s mix (Binghamton, Quinnipiac, TCNJ & Fordham.)

The campus is stunning. I can only imagine seeing it on a beautiful spring day - very green & spacious. There’s a mix of older & newer buildings and I feel many refurbishments continue to happen to keep the campus updated, fresh, and in line schools of similar stature.

All things equal my daughter places it around 3rd on her list based on the affordability & the new 3+3 law school program. Other schools offered her the 3+3 but Seton Hall Law is an excellent institution. In our opinion, Seton Hall Law’s offerings are more highly rated than their undergrad program (again, completely subjective & specific to her desired concentrations.)

Just my 2 cents! I’ll be happy for my girl in the place she finds to be her own. She’ll take all she needs and wants from SHU or wherever she lands.

Seton Hall also had a nice basketball win over Creighton today!