About TCU?

<p>Thanks! I appreciate the help. That makes so much sense.</p>

<p>So TCU has been my top school since i was 14 and now that im going to be applying next year im freaking out that my grades wont be good enough. I heard that TCU is very grade based when it comes to acceptances. I have about a 3.56 gpa but do tons of things outside of school as well. If anyone can tell me more about what TCU looks at for acceptances that would be amazingg!(:</p>

<p>I’ve heard a lot of things that I agree with and a lot that I don’t. I’m a current freshman at TCU, let me give you a run down of everything.</p>

<p>TCU is an awesome school. Basically all the posts about this topic were correct. Good food, good girls, good town, etc. What I don’t like is everyone’s love over Pi Kap and Sig Ep. Let me tell yall a little bit about greek life at TCU. There are currently about 10 fraternities and 14 sororities, although more are on the way. If you are a guy and want to have a good time, go greek. If you don’t, life will not be enjoyable. If you’re a girl, do whatever. But guys shouldn’t be gdi’s or they won’t have much fun. Now for Pi Kap and Sig Ep. These two “frats” are actually social clubs. Sig Ep has the largest pledge classes out of anyone and literally has no initiation/hazing at all. They become actives the first day. At the end of the first semester, they still hadn’t talked to some people in their pledge class. They’re too big and don’t care about each other because they don’t have to go through anything together. In comparison to this, I knew all of my pledge brothers’ first, middle, and last names, hometown, and everything else by the end of the first month. I would do anything for them now because we’re brothers. I joined a fraternity about brotherhood, and Sig Ep literally has none. They may throw some parties and have some cool guys, but they are not a fraternity at TCU. Girls also tell me there’s plenty of creepy guys. Again not all, but some. Pi Kap is better as far as initiation, but not in other areas. Basically, Pi Kap is a group of nerds. I don’t understand why people join a fraternity for it’s academic reputation, because study life and party life literally have nothing in common. You won’t get smarter by joining a fraternity with smarter people. I have a higher gpa than 80% of the Pi Kaps and they’re still full of themselves. They are also all basically robots of each other. Again, some guys are really cool, but a lot are lemmings who blend in. There are also plenty of creeps in Pi Kap from what I hear. These ‘down to earth’ people everyone is commenting about can be found in most fraternities at TCU if one attend parties and gets to know the guys. Pi Kap is more of a brotherhood than Sig Ep, but their zero hazing policy still makes them suck. If you want a real fraternity experience, don’t go with either of these two (or delta tau delta, they suck too. Or SAE, they’re creepy and drug their drinks). Go with a group where you will build lifelong bonds. Your pledge semester should be the best time of your life that you never want to have again. Don’t run from the thought of hazing, it isn’t too bad. It’s necessary and I wish mine was harder now. I’m not going to name which fraternity I’m in, but it sure as hell isn’t Sig Ep or Pi Kap.</p>

<p>Now for some complaints about TCU greek life. We don’t have real fraternity houses and it sucks. Schools like UT have big mansions for their fraternities where they throw parties, and TCU doesn’t and it really bothers me. Luckily, we’re supposed to be getting them in the next 3 years. But now each frat only has a dorm to themselves with a chapter room on the first floor. However, even when we do get actual greek houses, they will be on campus. Which probably means no big parties because they’d get busted easily. I have heard SMU has houses on campus and parties at their houses, so maybe it’s possible but I’m not sure. I partied at UT for round-up and it put our greek system to shame I have to say. I still have a great time, but it’s a completely different experience. If you wanna be super fratty, go to an SEC school. Bama, Georgia, Auburn, etc. They’re all faf and are known for it.</p>

<p>Also someone asked about living in Milton as an honors student. I live in Milton, and if I could redo freshman year I would’ve chose Shirley. Milton has been newly renovated and it very nice. The facilities are new and clean, the rooms have sinks and wood floors, and the study rooms are great. It’s also in a great part of campus; right between the rec and the commons. Everything looks great on paper- what sucks is the people that live in Milton. I’m an honors student, and I’ve had nerdy friends in the past who are fun to hang with. 80% of the people in Milton are weird as hell. I’ve met about 10-15 people here that are awesome and my good friends, but I pretty much don’t know the names of anyone else and don’t really care. They are beyond that weird stereotype. If you fit in, you’ll have a great time here. If you were an athlete in high school who is also smart, you won’t fit in. If you are in a real fraternity, you won’t fit in. There are also less than 15 attractive girls in Milton, which is 90% lower than in any other dorm. If you don’t plan on interacting with anyone you live with, go ahead and live in Milton- it is an awesome facility. If you want close friends who can hold a conversation, don’t come. If you want to meet hot girls and befriend them so you can meet their hot girl friends, DONT come to milton or you will regret it.</p>

<p>Also, TCU acceptance is around 50%. It shouldn’t be hard to get in unless you’re really dumb. And if I used any slang that you don’t understand, just google it and that problem is solved. I’d be happy to answer any more questions asked on this site.</p>

<p>I’m definitely rethinking a lot of things after reading Robert11’s post. After reading your post I definitely feel like I wouldn’t fit in a Milton. It does look great on paper, but the people make me nervous. My really good friend is going to room with me at Milton most likely, so that eases my nerves. I was planning on being more social and meeting more people I can relate to while rushing, but would you recommend requesting shirley instead?</p>

<p>You guys, that’s ONE person’s perspective on Milton. I’ve heard a lot of good stuff from people in the dorm as well, and a lot of it is what’s opposite of Robert.</p>

<p>1) Be cautious of anybody who takes that much time to bash other fraternities. Pi Kapp and Sig Ep have their reputations for a reason (although I do share his sentiments about Sig Ep). Just go in with an open mind, and hope you get a bid where you feel like you fit in. This coming from a GDI male, I play a sport though, so that is my fraternity. It’s a brotherhood that is forged on the field together, not a brotherhood dependent on an older dude with an ego hazing me. </p>

<p>2) Milton is awesome, I don’t live there but I call it my “home away from home.” I am the exact “smart athlete” he says won’t enjoy it, and I love it and love hanging out there. I’d take Milton any day over any other dorm, you’d be dumb not to.</p>

<p>3) Also, ignore anybody who says “you are dumb” if you don’t get into TCU. We aren’t Harvard, but we aren’t a state school either. Getting into TCU, I’d say requires MINIMUM “being above average.”</p>

<p>^Proof: Acceptance rate approx. 30-40%/</p>