Absorption woes at Mills campus of NEU

I have a feeling that gentrification will eventually decrease the crime rate around Mills campus. Clearly, NEU is in it for the long game.

1 Like

My son is one of the kids who was offered Northeastern Oakland (comp sci x business major) and is actually pretty interested. He is very career focused and the location doesn’t seem like a drawback to him because he wants to work in a tech company. He has no interest in Greek life or rah rah sports and does best in small classes, so the liberal arts college feel with the Northeastern style learning may turn out to be a fit. Or not, depending on his other acceptances :).

The admissions person told me that there is an area near the campus where you can get a quick pizza or sandwich (maybe Laurel)? Can the Oakland people on this thread tell me if that sounds right? Otherwise, it does sound like a bus ride to more interesting areas.

My feeling about the campus is that there is a lot of change happening right now and a lot that still has to be decided. I do think it will be a success in the long term. The transfer option is also reassuring if he doesn’t like Oakland,

1 Like

Mills Hall in the countryside;

Recent campus tour:
A Look @ Mills at Northeastern (Tour around Mills Northeastern Oakland Campus) NU Global Scholars - YouTube

Oh there are definitely places you can eat around the area. And BART honestly isn’t that far away. They should run a shuttle or something but AC Transit can get you there.

1 Like

After spending time in northern California, it will be hard to face a Boston winter :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good point - I know CSU East Bay has a BART - Campus shuttle for students, and I think UCSF also has something similar, so it’s a pretty common thing. Definitely worth checking.

1 Like

The Laurel neighborhood does have a number of funky, eclectic restaurants that could appeal to the students. The Laurel restaurant area is approximately 1.2 miles away from central campus, about a 25 minute walk. By public bus, it would be somewhat shorter. But buses do not run from the central campus grounds; only from the front gate (which adds 5-10 minutes walking time). I agree that the addition of a shuttle bus, either to Laurel or to Coliseum or Fruitvale BART station (or both) would make campus life significantly more attractive.

2 Likes