abt GLBT...

<p>i've heard that Geneseo has a pretty homogeneous student population, with most student from public high schools...does anyone know if there is a GLBT organisation on campus, and about the general response to homosexuality on campus?</p>

<p>Zero replies, huh? I'm also a bit worried about this. The Princeton Review says: "There are 'a few minority and gay/lesbian/bisexual students' here, 'but they really are the minority and often have difficulty adjusting. Many students feel like outsiders and transfer before graduating.'" How depressing.</p>

<p>Is there a reason you are looking at Geneseo? I would say the most tolerant Suny would be New Paltz.</p>

<p>I know that Geneseo has been criticized for its lack of diversity. It's not really the college's fault, but officials are desperately trying to encourage minorities to attend. Most specifically with the AOP and TOP programs which are supposedly designed to aid in the transition (help build friendships with others before classes start,etc.).</p>

<p>In relation to your question, Geneseo has a rather small GLBT "community" if you will.</p>

<p>In order to understand why, one must consider the student body. The student body is primarily Caucasian, intelligent and come from predominately Caucasian high schools. Unfortunately, these students were never really subjected to homosexuals. It is not that they are not accepting, but rather unaware of the wonderful diversity in the world.</p>

<p>As another user pointed out, most homosexuals and minorities transfer out because they feel like outsiders. Its a vicious cycle.</p>

<p>I would check out New Paltz. Very similar to Geneseo but is extremely diverse and accepting.</p>

<p>Geneseo's</a> Pride Alliance would probably be able to help you out.</p>

<p>As a Gay Alumni of Geneseo I completely disagree. Gays are also smart and attend Geneseo. I was a Residence Advisor at Geneseo. Many of the male RAs were greek (fraternity) and also Gay. Can you believe that a place like geneseo also let Gays into a fraternity?</p>

<p>People always point to New Paltz because it is the artsy SUNY but that does not mean that there is not a place for a bright gay person to feel at home at Geneseo. </p>

<p>The Geneseo Pride Alliance is a good place to look as well as the Student Affairs Office. </p>

<p>Many of the student leaders when I went to Geneseo were gay.</p>