AC for dorm rooms

<p>Does anyone know if you are allowed to use Portable Air Conditioners in dorm rooms at Purdue that do not offer AC. I know window units are not allowed but can you use portables?</p>

<p>I can’t answer your question, however, my D is at their STEP camp this week. They are staying in unairconditioned dorms. Her room must have been 95 degrees when we arrived. The fan changed it from an oven to a convection oven. I know she had a rough first night. Luckily the weather has cooled considerably. I doubt it would be too big of an issue most months of the year. I went to college at U of Southern Mississippi back in the early 80’s and my dorm was not airconditioned. We were not allowed to have room ACs. Pretty sticky for the first two months and last two months of the school year.</p>

<p>I heard from the school. NO air conditioners of any kind are allowed. The dorms are not set up to take on the extra power required. So, if you have a dorm with AC, your in luck. Otherwise, it was suggested to put two box fans in the windows–one blowing in and one blowing out. We’ll see if that works.</p>

<p>^ I saw a lot of windows in Meredith with that kind of set up this past school year. So it must have some benefits if it’s so popular.</p>