Academic admit questions

<p>Hi, I'm an international student who's really really interested in TAMU, planning to major in PetE. I have a few questions regarding the academic admit system, and would really appreciate some help.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Are admissions guaranteed to all students who meet the academic admit criteria?</p></li>
<li><p>What do I do if my school doesn't actually rank students, but I'm confident that I'm in the top quarter? Also, what will TAMU do?</p></li>
<li><p>Can the SAT 2 be considered for major/department specific admission?</p></li>
<li><p>What can I do to qualify for the honours program on entry if my school refuses to certify me as top 10%, even if I may be?</p></li>
<li><p>Just out of curiosity, because I find this system fascinating, do any other colleges offer a system like the academic admit?</p></li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li><p>Yes - if you meet the criteria, you can be admitted to TAMU, not necessarily the major of your choice.</p></li>
<li><p>I would ask my GC to write a letter describing how you compare to the rest of the student body. Even if they don’t officially rank, your GC may be able to offer some information. If your school does not rank, TAMU will ASSIGN you a rank. I don’t know what criteria they use.</p></li>
<li><p>I do not know if the SAT 2 is considered for major/department specific admission? But basically, admissions are rolling (first come, first served) for the first 85%-90% of the capacity. So, if you’re an academic admit - it’s a moot point. However it might be a differentiator if you’re on the border of being considered an academic admit.</p></li>
<li><p>“Any student applying for admission to Texas A&M University may also apply to the University Honors Program. We invite any student who seeks an enriched, demanding curriculum to submit an application, regardless of their class rank and standardized test scores. Selection preference will be given to students who are named as National Merit® Scholars, National Achievement® Scholars, and National Hispanic Scholars.” </p></li>
</ol>

<p>[Applying</a> for Honors](<a href=“http://honors.tamu.edu/honors/Applying.html#FreshApp]Applying”>http://honors.tamu.edu/honors/Applying.html#FreshApp)</p>

<ol>
<li>Every university has their own admissions policy. I am sure there are others with similar policies.</li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks, again!</p>

<p>Also, what are the scholarship opportunities like for internationals?</p>

<p>I see that question a lot, but I never see a definitive answer. All scholarships are very competitive. No idea on actual statistics or amounts on international scholarships.</p>