Academic Elite At University of Alabama

<p>Any one have experience with how competitive this program is? My D has a 4.0, ranked in top 5% of grad class, 28 ACT, wide variety of community service, and lettered in one sport. Any idea of her chances?</p>

<p>Welcome to CC. M2CK, will be able to help you regarding Alabama including chance for scholarship (I think the deadline has passed)</p>

<p>Thanks. She met the deadline. Now just wondering about her chances.</p>

<p>i would say not a very good chance. </p>

<p>academic elite is usually for kids with beastly test scores who may have just missed NMF. </p>

<p>i think i may have also read here that they are usually given to instate students.</p>

<p>I believe I read that there were no OOS Academic Elite schollies given out last year, and just 10 IS. </p>

<p>DD applied just for kicks (OOS, 35ACT, 4.0 GPA, lots of leadership, community service, lettered in tennis, NMF). She was realistic about her slim chances, but they offered the opportunity so she took it and applied.</p>

<p>The Academic Elite Scholarship is only available to those that are in the University Fellows Experience. About 30-40 students will successfully be admitted to the UFE each year. Everyone in the UFE will get a Presidential Scholarship. Then, out of that group, a few (5-10) will get the Academic Elite Scholarship. I believe there were 8 students that received it last year.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the feedbak.</p>

<p>I think some are confusing two different scholarships…the Academic Elite and the Alumni Crimson Scholarship.</p>

<p>The Alumni Crimson Scholarship is awarded to 10 students…usually all are instate. a few have been OOS, but those are rare because the funding isn’t large enough to accomodate the OOS costs. The students do NOT have to be children of Alumni</p>

<p>Academic Elite is awarded to about 8 students who are Fellows.</p>

<p>Typically ALL have very high scores. An ACT 28 wouldn’t likely be considerd since it only qualifies for a smallish scholarship.</p>

<p>These elite scholarships are usually offered to students who have VERY high stats but didn’t make NMF. Since those with an ACT 32+ get free tuition, it makes sense that those who have an ACT 35-36 and aren’t NMF might be considered for these big scholarships.</p>

<p>You are right about us mixing up the two schollies, but the real issue is that both are extremely difficult for anyone, OOs or not, to be recipient of. 10 Crimson and 8 Academic Elite schollies for a freshman class of over 5,000. Even becoming a UFE with out the elite schollie requires beating very great odds - 30 to 40 out of more than 5,000 freshman.</p>

<p>No one should be counting on receiving either. Apply if you qualify, cross your fingers hoping for the best, and be thankful for the generous automatic merit scholarships you will receive based on your stats. If you are one of the lucky ones who is awarded one of these highly competitive merit awards, consider yourself doubly/triply blessed.</p>

<p>Count us as hoping and praying. ACT 34, GPA 4.12 and lots of EC and community service. We know it is a long shot, but gotta try.</p>

<p>If you are awarded one of these elite scholarships, be sure to ask if it covers up to 20 credits per semester for tuition like the Presidential does. </p>

<p>It may seem odd, but if you win one, then the Presidential is taken away. And the elite one may not cover up to 20 credits. this was an issue for one of the winners a couple of years ago who got a Crimson Alumni. After some “back and forth” they agreed to cover up to 20 credits, but it was a very expensive decision…so it’s unknown if that will continue.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up mom2collegekids.</p>