Academic Environment

<p>Hello everyone! I’m considering attending UA next fall, and I was just wondering how the academic environment at UA is, specifically at the Honors College. I live in Baton Rouge, and I really feel that the academic environment is weak, even amongst the University’s “best” students. Is this the case at UA as well, or are most honors students academically motivated? Thanks!</p>

<p>Anecdotally, I’ll tell you that my DD sat in on classes at several of the colleges to which she applied. She felt like she saw a definite increase in the engagement of the students at Alabama as compared to the other schools (which all had strong academic reputations). She has been able to double major at Alabama and finds the upper level classes in both her majors to be rigorous and well taught. She has had opportunities for research in kinesiology and has been encouraged to enter some writing competitions in Spanish. If you want a strong academic community around you it’s there – some students may not avail themselves of it but you seem like the kind of student who will seek it out and take every opportunity presented.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your answer! I’m glad to know that the academically motivated community is present. That is one of the top things I look for in a University. Does she feel like she has missed opportunities that other schools may have offered her, or do you think that she feels like the opportunities at UA fit her needs?</p>

<p>Also, do you happen to know anything about the business school specifically?</p>

<p>She doesn’t regret her decision at all – and that’s even with a serious boyfriend at another school 5 hours away. She was a smart, driven but painfully shy high school student. She has thrived at Alabama, academically yes, but also finding other talents and growing in self-confidence. I think you will find that the University, and especially the Honors College, is really focused on student support and student success. I think the opportunities are tremendous especially if you go in with the attitude of looking for ways to excel (and not just in the classroom). I admit to knowing nothing at all about the Business School – but other folks will chime in who will!</p>

<p>Welcome!!</p>

<p>What will your major be?</p>

<p>Thank you! And I plan on majoring in finance with a minor in economics and political science.</p>

<p>Strong academic environment. Very challenging.</p>

<p>Welcome to the Bama forum! My son is a 2nd year Finance/Econ (Business School) double major and he has found his classes to be challenging. </p>

<p>If momreads and bamafana dont chime in here you may want to send them a PM as their son’s both have/had poly sc majors/minors along with Finance.</p>

<p>You will need to decide whether to do your Econ through the Business School or through the College of Arts and Science as they have different requirements.</p>

<p>My son chose the Arts & Sciences route with his economics degree – he has a political science degree, too, along with minors in mathematics and CBHP. He enjoyed the Honor College, particularly his time in CBHP, traveling twice to Costa Rica with Alabama Action abroad and a Common Book Experience class.</p>

<p>My D is an Economics (through CBA) and Math major. So far her curriculum has been the same as that of a finance major; they’ll start to diverge in a semester or two, but not that much. I think she finds the course work challenging (some courses more than others, naturally), and her classmates intelligent. She has no regrets.</p>