Accelerated BSN Programs in Philadelphia/South Jersey Area

<p>I'm currently a junior at Temple University and am starting to think about going into an accelerated B.S.N. program. Right now I'm a double major in Jazz Trumpet Performance and Math, but would drop to a math minor if I decide to go the nursing route. As I am a junior, I need to make this decision quickly and I need to start taking the prerequisite requirements at Temple so I can get into any of these programs. The schools I'm looking at are UMDNJ, Thomas Jefferson (FACT program), and Drexel (ACE program).</p>

<p>Out of these three:
1) Which is the hardest to get in (how hard)?
2) Which is the best program?</p>

<p>Keep in mind, I'm a New Jersey resident which is why I'm seriously considering UMDNJ. (in-state tuition, proximity)</p>

<p>Another question, are there any other schools you would recommend in the area with similar prerequisite requirements? Also, with the proposed Rutgers-UMDNJ merger how would that affect the program at UMDNJ?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance to any replies!</p>

<p>I’m a new jersey resident also looking into these three programs. I just graduated with my BA in Biology, but only recently did I realize I wanted to go into nursing.</p>

<p>From what I’ve heard, Drexel is supposedly the most intense because it is the shortest. So that could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I’ve heard that UMDNJ has the highest acceptance rate of the three, and the program lasts 15 months. I don’t know too much about Jeffersons program. Maybe you could help me out on that one.</p>

<p>Sorry if that wasn’t very useful information.</p>

<p>College of New Jersey has a good nursing program - check to see if they have an accelerated program. Almost all Catholic colleges in the region also offer some type of accelerated nursing program.</p>

<p>The changes to the New Jersey university system right now are just re-arranging names and organizational charts, if it is approved. I don’t think it will affect programs for the average nursing student in the next couple years. Most people associated with Rutgers are opposing the transfer of the Camden campus, and the Governor said it is all or nothing. It is commonly felt to be a power grab by a certain New Jersey politician. Because of past administrative scandals, they also want the University of Medicine of NJ to have more oversight, by being under the umbrella of Rutgers.</p>

<p>Ok just a bit of advice. I am Temple grad of communications. I graduated in 2005 but I am an LPN at the moment considering going for my BSN at the moment. I have to complete some prerequsites before I apply to any of the accelerated programs. Now I hope you know all accelerated nursing programs are for individuals who already have degrees. You mentioned youre a junior so I wasnt sure if you were considering dropping out. In terms of taking those prerequsites at Temple Id definately rethink that. I suggest you just take them at your local community college. They are all transferable. Camden county college is a good school and tuition is quite reasonable. Youll save a ton of money that way. Also you may want to check out West Chester University 18mth program which might also be a lot less costly as an instate resident student. Do you commute to Temple everyday or do you live on campus while youre paying out of state tuition? Look as a non nursing major you may want to take your time. Nursing can be a very overwhelming field and its no walk in the park. Trust me Im an artsy type…So if youre considering Drexel Ace program be prepared, very prepared cause rumor is its no joke and the attrition rate is high…not to mention the program is mucho expensive. LaSalle also has an accelerated program…Right now Im looking at West Chester for 2013. In the meantime Im looking at finishing up my pre reqs at community college of Philadelphia.</p>