Accept Full Scholarship and transfer to BU or Stay at UMass Boston

And you applied to three schools bigger than UMASS Boston ??

Yes.

I ask bcuz of your previous comment about school size increasing access and opening doors.

Transferring isn’t great but if you’re miserable it’s understandable.

Transferring twice will just bring questions and doubt about one’s ability / desire to commit and stay put.

Commuting will likely depend on if I plan to apply again, but as far as “finding a tribe”. I have made many great friends at UMB, and I know lots of kids at BU, but campus culture is quite different everywhere and although some schools may have exceptions, some places are just known for having a certain culture or vibe.

Oh, I was just giving an example of one way going to a certain school will make it “easier” for the lack of a better word. I know the double transfer is looked down upon, but I hope with a good enough reason it may be something I can explain to the admissions committ.

As I and others have suggested
transferring twice isn’t probably the best move.

So
assuming you plan to stay at BU
will you live on or off campus.

on campus

How bout explaining to your job apps when you are submitting three transcripts ?

If BU isn’t your long term desire, then even to save $7k, I wouldn’t go

If you can afford to live on campus at BU, then go for it.

But please please don’t plan to transfer a second time. If you are unhappy with your options this year, I would suggest staying put
and applying again for junior year as a transfer. But that’s my opinion.

Ok, understood. I suppose based on my decision from USC I will decide what might be the “best” move.

I guess I would just tell them what the truth is? I left UMB for security and more financial assistance but I always wanted to attend a certain school.

I have been reading this thread for a day without commenting. I figure that I could put in my opinion. I would not even consider transferring twice. I think that they are way too many downsides.

I think that you have three reasonable options:

• transfer to BU, and plan to stay there for three years and graduate.
  • stay where you are, and apply to several schools in an attempt to transfer on the next time around (transfer somewhere after 2 years).
  • stay where you are for a full four years and graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

One problem with the second option is that you might not get accepted anywhere next time around, or you might not get any affordable options.

Which leads to the obvious question of how do you feel about the third option, relative to the first option?

I will admit that I just happened to be driving past BU in the past few days with my wife. I mentioned that I think that it is a very good school, but I am not convinced that it is worth the cost for a bachelor’s degree. Well, you do not need to worry about the cost (assuming that your financial aid will last as long as you are there). This leaves it as just being a very good university.

You might want to check what the requirements are for maintaining the financial aid to BU after the first year, and what is the maximum length of time that the financial aid may be available.

If I were confident that the financial aid will continue for the full time that you are at BU, then this would most likely be my choice also.

Did you get the same financial offer from Northeastern? If so then I think that it would also be a very good choice. However, again if you transfer there then I think that you should stay there until they hand you a bachelor’s degree. I like the fact that Northeastern emphasizes their coop program. I think that internships, coops, or research experience is very important. This for example helped both daughters quite a bit after they graduated and were looking for a job.

I also agree that that if it takes you 5 years total to get your bachelor’s degree, then there is a very real risk that the 5th year will be full pay. One advantage of attending an in-state public university is that if a 5th year does happen, typically the student will still be in-state.

2 Likes

Smaller class sizes in what? I promise you that a seminar in “The economics of the Roman Empire” is going to be small at even the largest university in the country, and that “Psychology 101” will either be big or huge (relatively) at even a small university.

I’ve written about a family member’s commencement at a Big 10 University where he walked across the stage to get his diploma and multiple faculty members got up to race to the front to hug him. Aprox. 10,000 students were getting a degree that day.

A college is as big or as small as you want it to be. If you want to build strong relationships with faculty go do that.

And “Always wanting to attend a certain school” is not a successful transfer strategy. Nobody cares what you wanted when you were 11 years old. They will admit you if they have room, if you have a compelling intellectual reason for needing to be at their institution and not the one you are currently at, and if your track record and transcript indicate that you are the kind of student who will add to campus life both academically and otherwise.

Transferring twice undercuts any successful argument you’d be able to make.

1 Like

I see. So I confirmed that the aid will last every year until graduating and as far as NEU goes, I did not receive an offer comparable to BU’s and I am not really a fan of attending a college that is so similar in culture to my HS, Boston Latin School. As far as staying at UMB, I do not think that I would consider this an option as I went into the school after high school with the only purpose being to leave and I plan for it to stay that way.

Thank you for commenting on the thread and I know that BU is a fantastic school, I just feel bad that I wasn’t able to fully complete my plan that I went into college with and I am certain that I will be attending in the Fall(assuming I do no get into UTA or USC). The real question is if there is a good enough excuse I can make to the Admissions office as for my reasons to transfer. I do not think that applying can hurt since if I do not get in, I can always stay at BU which I am sure I will enjoy. But my biggest fear is not being able to try

When you asked about financial aid lasting until you graduate, did you specifically ask about it lasting if you end up needing (or wanting) to take a 9th or 10th semester?

that I did not. Waiting until tomorrow when the school opens so I can give them a call

1 Like

Also, though, even if you do convince a school to take you as a second transfer, you are going to have to list all schools on your job applications and you will also have to explain it to them if they ask. (And it may even be that you will be passed over for someone who hasn’t transferred twice before you have the opportunity to explain. )

Also, please see thumper’s advice about changing your user name if your user name is your real name by sending an email to the above email address. Once it is changed, it will retroactively change on all of your posts.

1 Like

There is of course the option of completing your bachelor’s degree at BU (or even U.Mass) and then looking to attend a “dream school” for your MBA. It is very common for a student to get a graduate degree at a different university compared to where they got their bachelor’s degree.

I got my master’s (but a Masters of Science) at a very good university, and the other students in the same program had gotten their bachelor’s degrees at a very, very wide variety of other universities. This is the same thing that I hear from other people who attended or are attending very good graduate programs.

Personally I would also be inclined to prefer BU over staying at U.Mass Boston for a full four years.

I think the bachelors degree from Boston University would be my choice too
if I were choosing. Very strong school (I’m the parent of a BU alum).

I think it’s the idea of transferring a second time that troubles me. There are plenty of students who transfer after year one or two of college. That’s OK
because sometimes things just aren’t what a student hoped for. But transferring a second time
? I’m going to opine that this isn’t all that common
and probably should be avoided if possible.

1 Like