Acceptable ACT score?

<p>I applied ED to Miami and was deferred. My regional admissions officer said the only thing she was concerned with was my SAT scores- 560 CR 630 M 1190 Composite. Well I took the December SATs and scored a 29- 34 English 31 reading 27 math 23 science. My major is international studies so do you think they can overlook my math and science scores especially since my composite is good? Should I retake or no?</p>

<p>I think they probably care more about English, Reading and Math than science. I’d say if their only concern was your standardized test scores, with these new scores you’ll probably get in. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Do you think they will be at all concerned with my math score?</p>

<p>Your math score isn’t great, but it’s not particularly bad, either. I mean, it’s better than 88% of the population, and when you consider that in light of your English score (99th percentile) and your Reading score (93rd percentile) I think you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>My kid got in with scores that were in your range. But, this was a few years ago. What is the rest of your package like? The common data set on UM’s website gives you the ranges for GPA, test scores, etc. Further, they do have a reasonable acceptance rate although they are getting more selective as the university President pushes the ranking down (38th at the moment). I have another kid with your scores that got into Chicago and NU last year. So, higher is always better but not a total deterrent. On the recent scores, I think you meant ACT. A 29 is not bad and taking the SAT again may help but in many cases there is immaterial impact. If you move from 560 to 600 CR will that move the application to the accept pile? Perhaps, but remember your application has been reviewed with the scores of record and the Adcoms felt it should be deferred which would indicate that they want to view you along with the rest of the RD pool. It was probably more of an indication that the ED group was strong this year. Rankings tend to do that and it appears that UM is benefitting. Also, how were your essays? They also can be the determinant where one applicant gets accepted over another. Stay on top of this and perhaps augment your application with a letter expressing continued strong interest in light of your deferment. Good luck!</p>

<p>While I agree with most of what JAckSparrow (aka Jonny Depp) has said, UMiami is notorious for the lowest ED acceptance rate in comparison to their EA rate in the free world…in plain black and white on their common data set…</p>

<p>Therefore, I think you were deferred because you were not a hooked applicant or a recruited athlete…</p>

<p>I mentioned in another thread that those deferred (especially in ED but also in EA) must express to Miami their continued desire to attend; that 29 will certainly help…</p>

<p>Don’t give up…even if you are eventually waitlisted…keep in contact and reiterate the first choice…</p>