Acceptance [LA resident, 4.0 UW GPA, 29 ACT, Animal Science major]

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student
  • State/Location of residency: (state is important if you apply to any state universities) Louisiana
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): ranking magnet school
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): white female
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):

Intended Major(s) animal science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.87
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: 7/299
  • ACT/SAT Scores:
    29 act

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

Several AP and dual enrollment classes. Takes all honors classes.

Awards
National honor society
Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
Varsity cheerleader
Beta club
Astra club
Lyle leader
National honor society
FCA
Girl up club
Shadows at local veterinary office
Dog sits/dog walks
Babysits
Works at ice cream shop
Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach

What are you asking?

You have a wonderful profile.

Do you have a list of schools that you want us to evaluate you on?

Do you have cost desires or constraints?

sorry this is my first time using this site. I was trying to see my daughters acceptance chances for Texas A&M, Colege station. She will be able to use Hazelwood as her dad is ex-military so cost is not a factor, just wondering since she is out of state if she has a good chance of acceptance as I have heard they only take 5% of OOS students. She has applied for animal science and wants to be pre-vet.

I think you have a good chance assuming you have rigor in your high school science courses. Not sure of your ACT breakdown but if stronger on math, I’d likely submit.

That said, lots of great animal science schools - so let not this be the only one.

Good luck.

• Most Out-of-State students are admitted through the holistic review process. Read holistic review qualifications in the In-State Student section above.

If you do not qualify for top 10%, but meet the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy, your application file, which includes all factors you noted, will be reviewed in a holistic manner*.

• Academic factors include all high school courses attempted and grades earned, rigor of coursework, GPA and class rank.
  • Non-academic factors include involvement in extracurricular activities, community service, leadership, employment and summer activities as well as extraordinary opportunities, challenges and hardships experienced during high school career.

Students applying for fall admission may receive a decision within a month of file completion. However, applying early does not guarantee an early decision. Generally, most students in review will receive a decision between January 1 and late March.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood/

In looking at the information about Hazlewood it indicates

A Veteran must:

• At the time of entry into active duty of the U.S. Armed Forces, (DD Form 214 required) & (40 TAC §461.40)

• designated Texas as Home of Record;
    • or entered the service in Texas;
    • or was a Texas resident;
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions as indicated on the Veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,

• Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);

• Currently reside in Texas; (40 TAC §461.40) & (40 TAC §461.70)

• Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;

• Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;

• Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and

• Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.

Did her dad enter the service from Texas and does he still live in Texas? If not, it does not appear as though your daughter would be eligible.

Also, make sure your daughter applies to LSU. She should get TOPS Honors (so free tuition plus $800 for books), and it should be a safety for her.

Yes, he does reside in Texas. I have been trying to get her to apply to LSU, it is not where she wants to be, we did apply to Louisiana Tech, but again last resort. She wants out of Louisiana pretty bad. A&M is her dream school, but we may apply to LSU as well just for backup.

and yes, he entered military in texas. Sorry missed that question :slight_smile:

I think your daughter definitely has a shot at becoming an Aggie, but she’s not a lock for it. I would have her consider Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, or Texas State as other possible safeties.

Thank you so much, will definitely look into all of these!

1 Like

She willing to farther - with a 4.0 Arizona and Miami Ohio are in the bag.l with big merit. Others would be too

I’m not sure my momma heart can handle her that far away, haha 4 hours was already tough to think about!

Might want to consider UAB and Purdue as well.

I don’t know much about Purdue, would that be a good place to do animal science for pre-vet?

My niece is a sophomore there now pre-vet and absolutely loving it. She has already had several research opportunities. She is in the honors program. It is a larger school but very well known in the Midwest for sciences. They have also had a rather exceptional tuition freeze since 2013.

University of Kentucky might be another consideration for pre-vet.

Both schools, as well as, University of Alabama, have Veterinary Medicine schools, which tend to be good places for undergraduate experiences as well.

oh okay, will definitely check it out, thank you so much

1 Like

Mississippi State and Oklahoma State would also be good options. It looks like she’d automatically qualify for a $13,000/year scholarship at Oklahoma State and probably $18,000/year or more at Mississippi State.

Both are land grant schools with accredited vet schools.

1 Like

Both Purdue and Texas A&M have very good DVM programs. There are many universities that are very good for pre-vet programs (and you do not need to get your bachelor’s degree at a university that has a DVM program).

My older daughter got her bachelor’s degree at a university that does not have a DVM program, and that is not quite ranked in the top 100 overall in the US. It does however have a very good animal science program. She is currently studying for her DVM in a very good program, and was accepted to multiple very good DVM programs (including her top 3 choices).

You are wise to consider the total cost of attendance for the undergraduate programs that you are considering. If your daughter wants to be a DVM, then you should be budgeting for 8 years of university.

Experience in veterinary situations, and experience with animals are both important. Experience dealing with people can also be helpful (every animal comes with a human). Both small and large animal experience is helpful. You might want to look into what opportunities are available at each university you are considering.

There are multiple cases where the universities that are very good for animal science and for veterinary medicine are not the highest ranked universities overall. Perhaps the ranking services do not value cows and horses and chickens as much as they value something else. Given your daughter’s excellent stats I think that she is likely to get into multiple programs which are very good for pre-vet students.

The required pre-vet classes will be the same classes as premed classes, and will be full of academically very strong premed students. I have heard multiple stories about how difficult these classes are. However, you do not need to be perfect. There are plenty of DVM students and veterinarians who had to work very hard to get a B or B- in organic chemistry, and probably some that worked hard for their C in organic chemistry as an undergraduate student.

Good luck and best wishes with this search. The world needs more veterinarians.

3 Likes

According to the Hazlewood information I linked above, OP’s daughter would get up to 150 hours of free tuition at a Texas public, which is an awesome deal. Even if other schools would give great scholarships, most of them will cost more than $0 for tuition.

@Tmccoy, is there a budget that your family wanted to stick to for college?

4 Likes

Yes, zero tuition is obviously the best deal, especially if there are vet school years to pay for later.

But if the acceptance in Texas does not materialize for some reason, Mississippi State might be a good back-up. In addition to the $18,000 scholarship for grades, there appears to be a non-resident tuition waiver for veterans’ dependents.

1 Like