Acceptance rate into nursing program

<p>Exactly right about the AP credits showing no grade, just as passed. I guess my explanation wasn’t clear. Because only the required coursework is considered and because science counts twice, bringing forth AP science would make the remaining science classes much more heavily weighted. Instead of being able to counter an A- with say 4 more science classes, a candidate would have less wiggle room, Unlike some majors, a isn’t going to gain promotion in less than 2 years. IMO the best way to use AP credits in lower division is to lighten the workload throughout lower division and use them to balance a difficult schedule.</p>

<p>An alternative is to go to a tech school and become an RN. You could then go on and get a BS and have your employer pay. However, in my state, after you take you Gen Eds, you sit around and wait for a spot to open, which could take a couple of year or more.</p>

<p>Thought I would share our wonderful experience with the nursing program so far. DD is a freshman but will be entering the nursing program next fall, hopefully:) From what I remember there are around 400 freshmen girls. Many will find the sciences too difficult, discover they don’t like blood… and change majors so not all 400 will apply for nursing… </p>

<p>DD wanted to go to Alabama and passed up great scholarships, in state tuition… In order to make it work financially, she chose to finish college a year earlier. She came in with dual enrollment credits that actually hurt her. She had a B one semester in Anatomy and the grade does count. She took her Biology course at community college and received an A last summer. With that B, we didn’t think she had much wiggle room with grades. This past fall, she took her first chemistry exam and received a low “C”. She thought she aced the exam. DD called me up crying saying that she had to transfer… One month into school and she thought her dream was crushed. </p>

<p>I have to tell you how AMAZING the nursing school is! She met with her advisor(LOVE HER), they calmed her fears and told her she was still a strong candidate even if she received a B for fall admissions, but not summer. She went for tutoring, the final exam wiped away one test score and she ended up with an A- in chemistry so it ended even better than we thought. DD pledged a sorority this past fall, which is extremely time consuming and ended her first semester with a 3.9something gpa(including the DE B grade). DD isn’t a genius but because she really wants to graduate from the Capstone College of Nursing, she got the help she needed. Alabama certainly offers the help if they ask. Also even if DD ended up with a C in chemistry, all still wouldn’t be lost. She could go to community college and retake to average the grade up to a B. If DD still had a C in Chemistry on the last day to drop a class, she would have dropped so it wouldn’t hurt her gpa. </p>

<p>So don’t choose a college based on how difficult admissions into the nursing program is. Unless there is a learning disability, if your child wants to get in and seeks help when needed they will get in. The nursing advisors will be there to help from day one. Actually, they were there for us through the whole college decision process. I can’t speak for all schools, but I know most schools wouldn’t give parents and students the attention we have received from the Capstone College of Nursing. If you haven’t done so already, set up a tour and meet with the nursing school. I think just being a part of such an amazing University and nursing program makes it worth at least trying.</p>

Did your daughter get into Nursing school? Thanks for your reply.

@momof2j‌

The poster has not posted anywhere on College Confidential for nearly two years, so is not likely reading any posts here.

What is your child’s situation?