Acceptance Thread for Undergrad Class of ‘25 & Grad Class of '23

Oh Geez, for some reason I am a day ahead. I thought today was Thursday!

2 Likes

Congrats. My Son is in too. Trumpet performance. I have a feeling this is where he will end up.

5 Likes

Dear Mhdmom or other prospective Juilliard parents - Is there an independent merit scholarship and financial aid letter? My S does not qualify for a need based financial aid - but the letter sounds like there is no separate merit letter that we can expect. Appreciate any info/insights.
Thanks.

1 Like

As far as I understand, the letter you received includes any Financial aid and Scholarship Money from Juilliard.
My D does not qualify for FA either and she received a Scholarship amount. Now we are trying to figure out numbers because even with the scholarship the balance is still very high.
So by now, reality is sinking in…

1 Like

Same here as @strings112 received both FA and scholarship but, it is still pricer than all other schools I’ve been accepted too…I don’t think I’ll be attending as of now.

1 Like

In the letter I see a JWS and a Stafford loan under awards section. But “loan” cannot be an award? Thanks.

1 Like

S received MSM admit letter today.

7 Likes

Accepted into the Yale School of Music! (MM '23)

14 Likes

Those are loans your S qualifies for. They add it to the FA, but he has to apply for them. The max for a Freshman is 5.500.

2 Likes

Congrats! what major?

1 Like

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

1 Like

Horn performance!

4 Likes

Could anyone tell us thoughts/experiences with CMU and JSOM?

Today - and it is changing often - these are the two contenders .

Pros and cons? Things you know from your or students experiences ?

1 Like

DS21 waitlisted at his #1 – JSOM. Hopefully he will get good news this summer. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

S went to admitted student virtual session last evening. JSOM shared this year was the most competitive year they have had as they have the largest increase in applicants in the school’s history.
That said - there definitely were admitted students there that I’d bet are not coming. Hang in there!!!

2 Likes

My son went through this exciting and stressful process last year. He researched professors and programs, organized trial lessons and actually traveled to and completed all of his auditions without parents. This was by his choice, as he is an independent and resourceful person. Of course he had input from his private oboe teacher. And he had 6 great schools from which to choose!
A few things to consider in general and from an oboist perspective:
First and foremost, is the master teacher a good fit for your son? Some teachers are more nurturing, some really tough with expectations. Philosophy of teaching varies from a specific protocol to being encouraged to develop your own way of playing and learning. My son was able to research teachers through master classes and by contacting recent former students or current students. The oboe world is very small.

Reed making is another huge part of the college and conservatory experience. Some schools spend more time and focus on reeds with very structured parameters on reeds, others are not. My son would rather spend more time practicing on a good but not perfect reed, then spending 4 hours a day seeking the perfect reed. But everyone is different.

And of course, what are the performance opportunities? Will a first year oboist be able to perform with symphony, opera and chamber groups?

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions. I am new to the forum so I don’t think I can DM you.

Best of luck to all of the budding musicians! The world needs them now, more than ever.

2 Likes

My son also joined JSOM’s admitted student virtual session last evening. He is also struggling between JSOM and CMU, as today.

3 Likes

We’re back from our spring break trip. Here are (hopefully!) all the updates from the last few days. Congratulations everyone! Please let me know by DM if I missed anything.

2025Class - VP undergrad

BooMimiMommy (daughter) cello performance

• 2/13 SUNY Fredonia

clarxino DMA trumpet

• 3/11 NEC

Coffeymommy (daughter) BM Composition

• 3/12 Ithaca College SOM

dturner55 (son) trumpet performance

• 3/15 Eastman
  • 3/20 Oberlin
    3/26 Northwestern
    3/31 NEC/Tufts

filmandcomp BM clarinet performance and BM composition

• Hartt
  • 3/11 UChicago
  • 3/13 SUNY Purchase
  • 3/15 Bard College and Conservatory
  • CMU
    3/30 Peabody
    3/30 Juilliard

goldilockspryor (daughter) MM VP soprano

• 3/2 NYU Steinhardt
  • 3/15 Boston Conservatory
  • 3/15 Chicago College of the Performing Arts
  • 3/15 SFCM
  • 3/18 Mannes

golf_guy (son) BM bassoon performance

Kamanuiu (son) jazz double bass

• Berklee (EA)
  • 1/27 Duquesne
  • 3/3 Purchase College
  • 3/16 NEC
  • 3/16 SFCM
  • 3/17 The New School

Ligetimatedad (son) BM Composition

lilchaz (son) jazz bass

lintylint (MM) horn performance
Yale

lisalisae (son) BM trombone performance

• 2/19 Michigan SMTD
  • 2/21 IU Jacobs
    3/19 Eastman
    3/31 MSM

mali1230 (son) BM Violin Performance

• 2/24 UMich SMTD
  • 3/3 IU Jacobs
  • 3/20 Oberlin
  • 3/27 CMU
  • 3/27 BU
    MSM

Mambly76 (son) BM composition
BoCo
Lawrence
Indiana
Miami (Frost)
Oberlin

MathandSinging (daughter) VP (soprano)

• 1/25 University of Oklahoma
  • 1/29 Miami/Frost
  • 3/3 CU Boulder
    3/18 ASU

mccr2401 (son)

• Hartt
  • Belmont
  • Berklee

mezzothings - graduate VP

mhdmom (daughter) VP undergrad

• 12/8 Loyola New Orleans
  • 3/13 SUNY Purchase
  • Mannes
  • 3/20 Oberlin
    Juilliard

msitbvs - VP grad

MTMomof2 (son) BM VP

• 11/20 Belmont
  • 12/20 Elon
  • 12/20 University of Pittsburgh
  • Penn State
  • University of Vermont
  • 2/26 UMich

musicmom98 (son) BM

overdone (daughter) VP

parentologist

Pl1277 (daughter) VP Soprano / Education

• 12/17 LSU
  • 12/17 Ohio State
  • CCM
  • Longy
  • HARTT
  • 3/1 UC Boulder
  • 3/8 NEC
  • 3/7 Eastman (waitlisted)
  • 3/11 Bard Conservatory
  • 3/20 Oberlin

RachelParent

• 2/21 CCM
  • 3/12 IU/JSOM
  • 3/15 SFCM
  • 3/17 Eastman
  • 3/20 UCLA

shecklhj DMA piano performance

• 2/18 University of Iowa
  • 2/18 Shenandoah
  • 2/25 Longy
  • 2/25 UNL

soprano999 MM Voice

• 3/8 NEC

stringbird (daughter) BM viola performance

strings112 (daughter)

tablamom (son) VP

thebauersix_gmail.com (son) trumpet performance
3/31 MSM

thecottens - music therapy (cello)

• 12/18 Berklee
  • 12/11 Loyola New Orleans
  • 12/14 Temple
  • UGA

TwinMom0419 (son) BM violin

Villandry (son) BM composition
1/15 Temple Boyer
1/21 IU Jacobs
3/11 NEC
3/27 CMU
3/30 Peabody
3/30 Rice

violaparent (daughter) MM viola performance
3/30 Yale
3/30 Juilliard
3/30 Peabody

3 Likes

We are back from visiting SUNY Fredonia and my daughter loved it. She has several friends there, the cello teacher is topnotch, she felt good vibes all around. She received a very substantial scholarship and doesn’t want to have debt. The campus and school are small and the rehearsal space, halls are also very nice. She has been stressing this and wants to be settled so she made her decision to attend. Thankfully! We are done and she is happy!

10 Likes

Congrats!!! That must feel so great! Happy for you and your daughter.

2 Likes