Acceptance To Mays Business Honors

Hey CCers!

I was recently admitted to Business Honors at Mays and was wondering if anyone has any experience on what the Honors classes are like and how the workload differs from regular classes. I am still waiting on my McCombs decision and the information I receive from this post could really influence my choice. Also, I understand the longer I wait to apply for housing, the less likely I am to receive my choice, but does this apply for honors housing too? Would it be better to put in my housing now just in case?

Thanks!

Cant speak to the honors program, but I would go ahead and put those housing deposits down. Ut’s isn’t too much; how much is A&M’s? It holds your place in line, which is worthwhile.

Any suggestions for housing at A&M?

@amatt15‌ when did you hear of acceptance to Mays Business honors and do you mind sharing your stats?

The letter was dated January 14th, and I received it on the 20th. It stated that there were 85 spots this year. Did not receive any notification through email or AIS, just through snail mail.

In-state, Top 6%, 1380 SAT, 33 ACT, Good amount of ECs.

Amatt, congrats on getting in I have similar stats to you and have not heard. Congrats on getting accepted!

@amatt15‌ congrats on getting in! We’re still waiting to hear with SAT 1440 ACT 33 lots of ECS and over 400 hours community service, school doesn’t rank. National merit commended.

Honors housing was required for University Honors (not BHP), so you could live anywhere you wanted with BHP. You can be in both groups, but not many students opted for that. If you are in both groups, they make room for you in the honors dorms since it is mandatory. If you’re only BHP, you should apply for the housing of your choice ASAP.

Most BHP students are involved beyond academics, taking on leadership roles in organizations so they are busy. I would suggest going to the informational sessions before you make your decision. They have student panels and Q/A sessions that will clarify things for you. They select variety of students to bring in for the session, you’re bound to find someone to answer your questions or they’ll know who to ask within the BHP group.

There are both honors courses within Mays and outside of Mays that are required to graduate with a business honors degree. Often they require more group projects, additional material or just more mastery. My son found the extra honors requirements very manageable, however he does have to study more than he did in HS. He is very good at time management and has been able to have time for everything from being an avid sports fan to being in leadership in his chosen organization & maintaining a social life. It is a great program, we have been impressed by his fellow students as well and the opportunities for networking begin freshman year. Everyone is very involved outside of academics, but not all in the same activities or organizations - quite the variety.
Congratulations on your acceptance & good luck with your decision!

Isn’t the housing deposit refundable? Hurry, if there’s any chance you want to go there. My daughter was a recent graduate of Mays(but not honors). She had a job offer by Spring of her JUNIOR year. The Aggie network is a beautiful thing. Gig 'Em!

@russ757, @momof5tx Thank You! Best of luck to both of you!

@Agmomx2, Wow thank you very much for the post. I will definitely try to attend one of those meetings and obtain a little more information. Hope your son is enjoying his time there!

I think the applications for University Honors were due in December. As for housing, submit your housing app now. Most of the money is refundable. List your top 3 dorms - any dorms - doesn’t matter at this point. Just get your app in so you will have your priority date. Then, if you change your mind before housing is assigned, you can request a different dorm without losing your spot in line for housing.

@Barfly, I was actually admitted in early December but only admitted to BHP the other day. I believe the priority deadline has passed for me already. Do you think my chances of getting my requested dorms are slim?

I don’t know. But you might as well submit your dorm app since most of the fee is refundable. Then you can call the housing office and ask them what your chances are for particular dorms. From my experience, the people at the housing office are very helpful. There are many new apartment complexes near campus, as well as off-campus dorms, so perhaps those options have lightened the demand for the dorms.

Can you see this status anywhere on the Howdy website? I submitted a request late. Not sure whether I want to pursue it since it is a major not just an enhancement. I’m majoring in finance and want to be a trader. I don’t think I could do this with BHP can I?

Yes, you can double major in business honors & finance - most BHP double major.- you just organize your upper level classes with all the electives fulfilling the other major. The other group you might like is TRIP http://mays.tamu.edu/trip/

@kitty11, I do not see it anywhere on Howdy or on the AIS system. In your case, I would actually focus more on getting excellent grades your freshman year and once obtaining 30 credit hours, applying to the TRIP program that focuses on trading among other things. I spoke recently with a current PPA program Aggie and he commented on how the Business Honors program is good an all, but the same prestige can be earned from TRIP program. You get two paid internships and learn a lot about the industry. Check it out! :smiley:

Haha looks like @AGmomx2 beat me to it!

Another course is Aggies on Wall Street - that one is not competitive for admission, you just sign up (BHP and TRIP are competitive).
There also is a freshman seminar course (1 credit) that sort of brushes over some investment info.to give you a taste of the field.

My D was in the PPA program. It was fantastic and rewarding, but hard work. I think it was competitive to get into it. She was lucky to be accepted.