Accepted and have questions!!

<p>I was accepted to Purdue First Year Engineering recently. Although I am happy, I have a lot of questions. And FYI I'm International. I think a lot of these will apply to a lot of other students as well. So thank you in advance :)</p>

<ol>
<li><p>How does the IB credit system work for Engineering? I will have enough scores to gain credit for all the Math, Physics, and Chemistry courses in Freshmen year, and I'm planning to start with sophomore math courses and Mechanical Engineering course (no prerequisites, and ME will be my major). But don't all students go for the first year engineering class. So I'm confused. Could someone please explain this?</p></li>
<li><p>How bad is the male:female ratio in general?(not just engineering) Is it just a number or is it evident on campus? I've heard people say it's as bad as 80:20, but I was sceptic about it. Is it true? </p></li>
<li><p>I am a in the top 25th percentile in bot SAT scores and GPA, so will it be easy for me to get merit aid? when does the college release the merit aid decisions?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Oh just forgot!
4. How easy are campus jobs to find? what are among the high paying jobs? and is it possible to find an internship after the first year(I’ll technically be a half-sophomore)</p>

<p>I have been on Purdue’s campus more times than I can count, during session and in the summers, and the female ratio is NOT 80:20. Its not even close. There are more guys than girls, but its not very noticeable unless you’re taking a head count as you walk around campus. Its about 58% male 42% female overall. There aren’t very many girls in engineering, though, but you seem to realize that.</p>

<p>Bump arrow!!! Anyone out there?</p>

<p>I’m not in engineering, but my roommate is so I know a few things. EVERY student in engineering has to take our first year engineering course. It is required and I’m about 99% sure you cannot test out. As for your IB, I know quite a few people that started math in Calc 2 or Calc 3, but I’m not sure if they did IB or if they just tested out. I know IB credit is accepted here, but a lot of the time what it counts for depends on your major so I would be tempted to email someone about that. </p>

<p>As far as male:female ratio, I’m a girl as are my roommates and walking on campus I have never noticed a difference in numbers. However, I’m in CS and I am the only girl in a 30 student lab as well as probably one of twenty girls in my almost 300 person CS lecture. In engineering I’m sure there will be more women, but it is likely the lack of women will be apparent. But overall I would say there is really not much of a difference and I wouldn’t be concerned much about it.</p>

<p>I’m not sure about international student aid. Sorry :(</p>

<p>As far as work on campus goes, there are tons of jobs in the dining courts and libraries. There are also lab positions and things off campus. Low pay, of course. There are companies around the area that some of the older students may get (soph+) that pay better but I’m not sure what they are. For internships, Purdue does an awesome job of having companies come here. There’s a big event called the Industrial Roundtable that attracts a lot of high end companies looking for interns and full time employees. Keep in mind though that you are more likely to get an offer as a junior or senior. Freshman internships are slim, but you may be able to find them. I just got an offer for one as a sophomore, but those are also a bit harder to get, but definitely easier than as a freshman. Still try though!</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply guys. That provided some really useful insight.</p>

<p>You will notice the gender difference in engineering. On campus in general, it is not noticeable.</p>

<p>You will not be able to take your MechE courses your first semester. You cannot waive the required first year engineering course and that IS a prereq.</p>

<p>Go to <a href=“Catalog Term”>https://selfservice.mypurdue.purdue.edu/prod/bwckctlg.p_disp_dyn_ctlg&lt;/a&gt;?
Search in the mechanical engineering department for your courses (ME200 and ME207). They have ENGR 132 listed as a co-req. ENGR 132 is the second semester of first-year engineering [for your information: ENGR 142 works just as well, that’s just the honors version]. You won’t be able to jump directly into you major courses.</p>

<p>This means the earliest you can take your mechanical engineering courses is Spring semester of your freshman year. Find something else useful to take in the Fall. If you would like to take those ME courses spring semester, you will have to go to the mechE advisers and get a form singed before registration. It is not a big deal and it is not difficult, but you’ll have to do it before you register.</p>

<p>IB credit info:
<a href=“International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University”>http://www.iss.purdue.edu/admission/ugrad/ib.cfm&lt;/a&gt;
If you feel like you have adequate knowledge in a subject Purdue doesn’t give you credit for, you can always take a test-out exam.</p>

<p>I certainly do not think merit aid will be “easy” for you to get. I do not know how difficult it is.</p>