Accepted at Irvine, waitlisted at Davis

<p>Ok so my question is do I enroll at Irvine, and then if I (God willing) get accepted by Davis-how do get out of Irvine.
Like will I lose deposits or something, and what is the entire process</p>

<p>You put down deposit when you SIR. </p>

<p>If you decide to go to Davis, then you will LOSE the Irvine deposit. Unless, I am mistaken, this is the gist of the process. </p>

<p>Perhaps someone else can answer this.</p>

<p>The UCs have said that “wait-listed applicants will be notified no later than June 1.” So you won’t actually be enrolled at UCI at that point. All you will lose is the $100 deposit you put down when you SIR.</p>

<p>The process is pretty simple: elect waitlist option -> SIR with a backup UC by May 1 -> wait for waitlist decision to come out by June 1 -> if accepted, elect to SIR with the school, kiss the other $100 SIR deposit good-bye, and follow normal freshman process with new UC (housing, financial aid, etc.); if rejected, continue normal freshman process with current UC (housing, financial aid, etc.).</p>

<p>Irvine’s better than Davis so don’t be too depressed. That being said, the other posters are correct. You will lose the $100 deposit.</p>

<p>"Irvine’s better than Davis so don’t be too depressed. " lol @ the notion that such similar colleges can be empirically “better.” They’re both quite similar academically, it all comes down to which campus you like more/the strength of particular majors. </p>

<p>Some things to consider:
Davis has 800 million endowment vs Irvine’s 210 million.
Davis is ranked 42nd vs UCI 46th (pretty useless ranking anyway but people seem to care about their rankings)
Davis spends 573 million a year on research vs 300 million for UCI.
Davis has a higher ratio of PhD to bachelor</p>

<p>What do the above statistics mean? That UCD is “better” than UCI? Certainly not. The only thing that is of any concern is money since the state is walking away from the UC system as a whole. Go where you feel confident you will succeed. </p>

<p>Good luck KAMA on the waiting list. Admissions were crazy this year, don’t feel bad because success at college is solely determined by the effort you put into it. A self-esteem booster might be to look at famous scientists’ undergrad universities, almost all of them are fairly standard. Grad school admissions are a relief compared to undergrad as you’re judged based on academic skill, not whether you cleaned up a beach.</p>