ACCEPTED! however.... the weather......

Just got accepted to the University of Wisconsin, Madison!
YAYAYYAAYAYAYYAY.

However!
I come from a tropical climate. To me, winters are something to look forward to (The summers can get as hot as 122 degrees fahrenheit) and literally everywhere I see, everyone is complaining about the horrifying winters at Madison.

So, how bad is it in reality?
How do you guys get through the winters?

From an in-state student. Layers, Layers, Layers.

1. You get used to the average days--not that bad.
  2. Every1 hates the 15 really bad days
  3. There will be some very nice days and you will love them.
  4. It will be warm when you start. Cold comes on gradually and you adjust.
  5. Most people dont let cold stop them from going out and about.
  6. Basketball

H is from India and he did fine for decades, now old and we moved with retirement. There are many others from tropical climates who end up in Wisconsin, including UW professors. You have to weigh the pros and cons of UW and your other choices. The academics and campus are worth the weather. It will also be a novel experience for you. What better way to experience four very different seasons from the tropics than as an undergrad? So different and each season has its beauty.

You acclimate to weather- both hot and cold. 50’s (F) will seem cold when the temp drops while 30’s will seem balmy in winter. Do not worry about clothing- you will be able to find everything you need later in the fall- and often on sale! Be prepared for summery weather when you come and changes from hot to colder to hot again your first month. There is a reason people in the US keep track of the daily weather- it changes.

Thanks for the responses @hereford15, @barrons and @wis75 !

I really don’t want to live all my life in the brutal winters of Wisconsin. On graduation, how much does location matter when it comes to getting a job? Can I still get a job in the better places of the United states after a Wisconsin graduation?

Okay so how come Madison regularly tops the lists of Best College Towns/Best places to live in the USA?

It can’t be that bad.

My kid is at UW, and says, fall and spring (and summer), are fabulous. Going to school on a lake is pretty beautiful, you can do water sports in warmer weather and winter sports in colder. Winter can be just regular cold or absurdly cold for some stretches at a time, students are united in complaining about the weather, but they would’t want to be anywhere else. Layers and good boots are key. School is out for about a month, between the end of exams in December and the beginning of the spring semester usually around the 3rd week of January, so there is a whole month of winter students miss. Between game days, the Farmer’s Market at the Capitol, State Street, Picnic Point – there is so much to do.

In terms of moving on, my kid is from the midwest and has internship offers in NYC and Washington D.C. this summer, no problem getting out of the midwest. It is the strength of his undergraduate experience, and his relationship with his profs who are writing recommendations, that are contributing to his career options. I wouldn’t worry about being able to move on after graduation.

Congrats on your acceptance, it is a truly incredible place.

@Midwestmomofboys Thank you so much! This was exactly what I hoped to hear. I know Madison is a great place to be, and I’ve always wanted a wholesome college experience that the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers.

Thanks! :smiley:

Now you bring up wholesome :wink:

Boots? My son never wore them (since middle school I believe). There are memorable experiences such as sledding down one of the campus hills (on cafeteria trays) or participating in a snowball fight and other winter things not to miss.

@wis75 – LL Bean duck boots . . . My kid did break down and wear a hat this winter, his third winter in Madison.

Hey! @derprage‌ I recently got accepted to UW-Madison too. I’m an international student and I am interested in pursuing electrical engineering.

@potterhead7‌ where are you from? I was accepted as an international student from Lebanon too.

@Elra60‌ I’m from India! :smiley:

How long do the winters last in Wisconsin?

It depends what you call winter. If winter is when the high temperature is below 70 degrees (21 degrees Celsius), then it’s winter about 8 months of the year! Mid-December to early March is the coldest time of the year, though it can be cold a few weeks earlier or later. There is usually some snow on the ground then, unless a few milder days made it melt off.

Here’s the average temperatures and rainfall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison,_Wisconsin#Geography_and_climate
This site gives more information about rain,snow, humidity: https://weatherspark.com/averages/30954/Madison-Wisconsin-United-States
If you want to look at day-to-day weather this site is good: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMSN/2015/3/7/MonthlyCalendar.html

Typical winter weather- meaning freezing temperatures and possible snow (fall and spring get colder than summer of course- FOUR seasons- a delight when you are only used to wet/dry seasons) doesn’t start until December and ends by the end of March. There are occasions when it does snow in November, and it has been 70 on Christmas day. Remember that when it becomes cold it will be the end of the semester and you will be taking finals, then leaving until mid January. btw- a cold front can move through in summer with colder than 70 degree temps as well. There is central heat and it is easy to put on extra layers. A lot easier to move and be energized in lower temps- no can’t-stand-the-heat, need to get into air conditioning. More conducive to hitting the books.

Better to have a college experience to enjoy the four seasons and know if you would like it than to avoid jobs in the northern states.

btw- plenty of sunshine in winter, especially when it is coldest. Easy to enjoy looking out of a window. Not like the warmer but usually cloudy plus drizzly all day rains of some places in winter.

@wis75 It’s a tough decision for me. But I definitely want the new experience.

I can’t wait to be a part of the Battle for Bascom hill :’)

@wis75 Thanks for the info!