Accepted i need alot of help! :D

<p>Hey guys, im an international student studing in in an international highschool following the british GCE system. I appied for an engineering study in purdue and last week i got the acceptance email. However i have also applied for 4 other unis, illinois in urbana, UW madison, UMN twin cities and pennstate unipark, 5 in the uk(you may not be familiar with these, nottingham, loughborough, edinburgh, york. 4 in canada ubc waterloo mcmaster queens.
I am willing to study in the states and the acceptance from purdue really cheered me up during my gce winter finals(started today). I applied as an engineer student as i am studing physics(advanced level) maths(calculus algebra mechanics stats) chem(advanced hate it!) and IT(subsidairy level) Physics and maths are my favourite subjects, usually being one of the top 3 in these subjects (not a very populated school though). my predicted grades were AAAB. However i did really poor in the sat test english section( did ok in maths 650 dont want to tell the english bit probably the worst in this forum) also did decent in sat subjects physics and maths2(650, 610-made me really sad-) without opening a book cover. im sure i could have done over 680 in both with a month of regular study however i was busy trying to get good predicted grades. got 590 in toefl pbt and good secondary examination scores, gcse`s. no gpa provided in the english welsh system however ive supported my school transcripts with merit and honout certificates along with a good letter of reccomendation.
I would like to know the differences between the unis ive applied for esp in the states, purdue is good in engineering as the others are aswell. Which one would provide a good, achieveable education(not very tough however id study to get good gpas) and a nice social environment. are there any kinds of drawbacks for international students in the unis ive applied for?, racism discrimination? ive been to california for a summer holiday havent seen anything bad, well all americans besides the native ones were immigrants.
I know a student in purdue, he struggles completing his courses with good grades, this freaked me out tbh. </p>

<p>Well any kind of info/help would be appreciated.</p>

<p>good luck to all have a great day</p>

<p>i got some info from Jimgotkp s thread however any additional info will help, </p>

<p>btw, im Turkish, however as i said im attending an international highschool i can cope with many nationalities hopefully during uni life it wont change</p>

<p>hey anil,</p>

<p>Since I’m Turkish too and may be attending Purdue next year, I just wanted to say ’ congratz ’ :)</p>

<p>Well any university you go to for Engineering you will have to EARN your grades by studying. Even though Purdue may be tough, I see people who find jobs with a 2.5+ GPA since the classes are so hard and employers know that. In terms of racism and all, Purdue is used to International students since like the mid-1900’s. There are quite a good number of Turkish students too from what I see. I’m sure it will be easy for you to make friends. If you like soccer or tennis too, consider joining club sports. I do know A LOT of international students that play intramural sports like crazy and they all seem to be good friends.</p>

<p>As much as I know, Purdue is one of the most culturally diverse places in this country and admits many Turkish students for even undergraduate level. Last year I heard that they admitted nearly 30 Turkish students for undergrad and more than 60 Turks for grad level. So I’m sure you’ll feel very comfortable. Also I live in New York and I advice you to not to worry about this stuff since this country contains lots of diverse people from all over the world. Isn’t it frigid up in Minnesota? I can’t think of myself living there. How could you think of yourselves up in there :slight_smile: ?</p>

<p>well im not sure a classmate of mine would like to study up there even if he got acceptance from purdue, im interested over there aswell. wow there are some turkish students thats good, may not be a huge community as the other racial groups,
i do love tennis id probably join that club</p>

<p>i guess i will change my aim, im waiting to apply for canada aswell. esp waterloo uni. as in rankings purdue is better but waterloo is the best engineering uni in canada and has one of the best coop programmes,
probably as not as tough as purdue, i cant be bothered to study 4/5 hours everyday myself</p>

<p>I definitely think that Purdue is extremely diverse. As with any school, engineering si a tough program, and you’ll have to work to earn your grades. I don’t think any ‘top’ engineering school would just give away grades with little to no work. But I know a few engineering students there that lead active socail lives: play intramurals, go greek, join a club or two, etc. So it just really depends on your time management skills since working hard and playing hard is plausible at Purdue.</p>

<p>To add to this there is actually an Engineering ONLY IFC fraternity too on campus. It’s called Triangle Fraternity and they are all Engineers. They party (not sure if they are lame or not lol) but they also do well in their classes. You just got to know when to study.</p>

<p>i`ll make the decision on march/april :smiley: im applying to some canadian unis tonight and waiting for all replies from 4 other unis in the states.
@youwiththeface
thats true every engineering course is tough no matter where you go.</p>

<p>anil, how long did it take to get the decision after you completed everything? benim 2 hafta oldu halen in committee review…</p>

<p>lets continue in english :D,
my documents were sent on the 26th of november, the uni received it on the 30th, my toefl and sat scores were sent on the 16th of december and i got the acceptance email on the 5th of january.
I applied as an engineer hbu?
they may consider international students a bit earlier :S
and the documents ive sent were all british, not as complicated as the american ones, gpa, class ranking etc, only certificates and teacher notes :D</p>

<p>where else did you apply?
im still waiting from umn, uw madison, pennstate and illinois urbana.
got 2 conditioanl offer from the uk,</p>

<p>So it takes approximately 2-3 weeks to make a decision…I’m very curious…</p>

<p>Yeah I applied for engineering, too. Well we have another in common, UW Madison but I applied after the priority deadline, so that If they reach enough applicants, they won’t take mine into consideration. On the other hand, I love the west coast and the majority of the schools I’ve applied is there.</p>

<p>been to la this summer, visited UCLA AND USC campuses both are amazing, but tuition fees are over 30k$, so i didnt apply for them, i mainly applied for a place in the midwest canada and the uk. i guess im not a priority student for UW aswell i was waiting for my bank statement from turkey, it consumed some time. i will decide where to study at this march/april. you should also wait</p>

<p>i dont really think that it takes 2/3 weeks, they randomly pick up students daily, i guess i got lucky</p>

<p>La is awesome but expensive, however, usc gives lots of money to internationals. one friend of mine got 20k per year which pulls the tuiton down to 19k, so he’ll pay less than purdue’s tuition. ucla is of course another story since there is no fin aid avaliable to us… being international sucks a lot…</p>

<p>yeah… some told me they received their decision within a week while others received within a month…</p>

<p>did you check the dorms out ? virtual tour stuff on the website is amazing. I really wonder if freshmen can get one of those suites?</p>

<p>no i didnt, i couldnt really take muh time on internet these days while im studing for my a level finals(even if i dont really needs these grades as im accepted, just to get credits and relax the first year)
can you give me the link if possible. it would be alot better if i had the chace of getting the suite ones, i have ocd, i need a secure reliable place!:D</p>

<p>[Housing</a> Choices](<a href=“404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences”>404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences)</p>

<p>I just hope freshmen are allowed to benefit from most of 'em.</p>

<p>As from what I know about Purdue, Freshmen can get into any dorm building except for the First Street Towers. </p>

<p>I would so not want to the Hilltop Apartments as my cousin lived there for a semester and people would break into apartments all the time on the way to Ross-Ade for football games. And then with Cary and Windsor (basically the same type of dorm as far as I know except Cary’s men only and Windsor’s female only) you can’t specifiy your building as a freshman if you want Cary/Windsor. They’re very oldstyle as you can tell from the pictures. I personally find them like English boarding school type things that I’ve seen in movies.</p>

<p>But I think picking a building should be made on location if you’re stuck between a couple. Which, if you don’t get to visit, going to the Purdue site andg oing to the map would help.</p>