Accepted-- Rising VT Freshmen

<p>I finally got my letter in the mail today. I thought it would have come on Saturday since I receive most colleges' mail the day after it's sent. But anyway, I returned my deposit and form to the post office the same day, hoping that the early return of deposit will help me in the prioritization for choice of housing.</p>

<p>Some questions:</p>

<p>-- I know 3 freshman who got in ED '04-'05 and received suite-style housing. Is it at all likely that I'll get Cochrane, Harper, New Res, or Payne this year?</p>

<p>-- Sending in deposit early- does VT create the student record as these deposits come in, essentially making housing first-come, first-serve, or will VT wait before doing the data processing? </p>

<p>-- Which residence halls do people recommend? I heard Cochrane is suite and is connected to West End... so the location sounds pretty good. But can anyone comment on this matter?</p>

<p>Hopefully this thread will spark other people to ask/answer other frosh concerns.</p>

<p>I would like to know this as well...</p>

<p>It is NOT likely.</p>

<p>Harper- disabilities dorm, you must have asthma, severe allergies (be prepared to prove that with hospital stays, allergy shots, ect), or a condition of some sort (ie. blind, disabled, ect)</p>

<p>Cochrane- it's athletes only and def not somewhere you want to live- crazy athlete schedules are hard to deal with (even if they arent your own- plus its not a nicer suite-stylE)</p>

<p>New Res- soph status required
Payne- soph status required
^^ for both its still hard to get into as a soph, esp new res</p>

<p>UNLESSSSSS</p>

<p>you apply to the residential leadership community (RLC) and you live in peddrew-yates (identical to new res just not quite as nice) and then you're GUARANTEED soph housing in new res. I wish I had done the leadership program in order to have these... lovely accomedations. Otherwise, it's COMPLETELY random, so I'm sorry to say, you might get stuck in AJ or you might get a huge room in West Egg (I'm in Lee and my friend who lives in West Egg has a room twice the size of mine- but her roommate is a jr)</p>

<p>Out of curiousity, what suite style housing? Was it a) for honors, or b) for athletics? Because housing doesn't go out yet, infact sophs/jrs/srs only recently filed for housing, and it hasn't even been processed because they're waiting to see how many freshman before assigning housing, so USUALLY the only people who know are the people who are athletes and in coch</p>

<p>well, like what op probably thought, i assumed that as a rising freshman, i'd have a good chance to get more priority since i was probably one of the first to actually complete the housing contract. (i did this 6 days after getting my vt acceptance letter and sent deposit in on the same day that i received the letter) -- i also know 5 guys who live in suites and all of them are freshman-- 4 in harper, 1 in new res, and then many more who are in py as freshman with rlc. damn i wish i'd remembered to check the generate pid site everyday after sending deposit so that i could get my damn contract done before most kids... i'm probably gonna do rlc just to be safe...</p>

<p>thanks emily for ur insight. though i don't know if all of it is entirely accurate, since i've lived with those freshman, your thoughts are still really valuable to this thread.</p>

<p>question--</p>

<p>what are the suite dorms where girls live on one side of the hallway and guys live on the other? i think harper does this but it's so quiet there that i wouldn't know for sure. py definitely does this though.</p>