Accepted to Honors Program!

<p>I just got a letter today saying I was accepted into the L&S Honors Program. Very cool! I like the idea of being able to take smaller classes at such a large university.</p>

<p>Anyone else?</p>

<p>Is admission to the Honors program automatic? I thought that the Wisconsin sent an application by email for the Honors program.</p>

<p>how do you apply?</p>

<p>Check the website- in recent years there was a mid March deadline.</p>

<p>my deadline was march 1st so it might be too late. and btw, i was reading up on madison and honor students actually take the same classes as everyone else. in fact, it pointed out that madison's honors program was particularly weak. i hope that's not the case, but who knows.</p>

<p>Yes, my son received his acceptance letter today, too!</p>

<p>Serendipity, honors students can elect to take honors versions of some of their classes. These honors versions have a smaller number of students and proceed at an accelerated pace or have additional materials.</p>

<p>Here is the Letters & Sciences honors information from the UW website.
L&S</a> Honors Program</p>

<p>Beginning with students applying to the university for admission in the Fall of 2008, all students admitted to the university and to the College of Letters and Science will be invited to apply to be considered for admission to the Honors Program to pursue the Honors in the Liberal Arts degree. Interested students will be able to apply via an on-line application form on our website.</p>

<p>The invitation message students receive by e-mail will contain the URL to our on-line application.</p>

<p>That's what it says on the website. Is that incorrect?</p>

<p>They send out the invitation via email - in his case it came a couple of weeks after he was admitted. It had a March 1st deadline and said that they would start looking at completed applications after March 1st. Admission to honors is not automatic; it states that it is competitive, and that students who are not selected or who choose not to apply now will have the opportunity to apply again later. The acceptance letter came via "snail mail."</p>

<p>Yup, I got an an email inviting me to apply online, with a deadline of March 1st.</p>

<p>There are also some courses that are purely honors- eg chemistry 115-116, calculus and physics sequences. These courses are worthwhile, even if it means repeating first semester calculus (after 3 semesters you will have 4 semesters worth of math, plus it is highly theoretical, getting you beyond just doing the regular courses). Don't worry about not getting into the honors program- you can join anytime in the future or try to take the courses- difference being in SOAR advisor, invites for special things for new freshmen. I got an honors degree eons ago- the difference can be specific honors classes, extra work (learning), special sections and the senior honors thesis. If you are still deciding on a university consider the overall caliber of it, UW's student body has become more elite than years ago.</p>

<p>I might have missed my email, if it came, because I just realized that some of my emails from UW are going into my junk mail folder. I got an email from housing in my inbox but another one from the admissions office and one from the International Scholars Program went into my junk folder. The Int'l Scholars one really sucks because the deadline passed a couple weeks ago.</p>