Accepted to SD, appealing to LA, confused

<p>do i accept admission to SD before appealing?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>UCLA should let you know their decision before May 1st so you can wait until you hear back from UCLA to accept UCSD's offer of admission.</p>

<p>Hey, silversurfer
are you writing your appeals in handwriting or typing them because a lot of ppl who are appealing are writing on binder paper... and I'm getting confused.</p>

<p>wow...binder paper? are you serious?! that obviously shows admissions that they are serious about their appeal.</p>

<p>First of all its an appeal, so you want them to change their minds about you. handwriting it on binder paper is a joke and wont be taken seriously. i mean, would you handwrite your resume on binder paper?</p>

<p>just so you know, DECISIONS ARE VERY TOUGH TO REVERESE. i attempted last year..no success. you really need info that you forgot to put in the app that will blow them away and make them say "well! why didnt you say so! of course we'll take you!". that means you either forgot to include some course grades, or made a MAJOR mistake in your awards/list..like you should have been president of 3 clubs but you only listed youself as member or something ike that. saying that "oh, ive been working super hard in my senior year and got some new awards" wont help much. I took multiple classes at a CC my senior year and ACED them all. I also took honors CC classes (which has more serious students who eventually transfer to cal or ucla. i thought if i was working hard in my senio yr and taking classes with to-be-cal transfers, my appeal would work). I pulled the highest gpa i ever did that year in my hs career..close to 4.0 (no senioritis!), but ucla STILL didnt take me. even after my grades significantly changed and i got a rec from the VP of student affairs who also was one of my profs who i really knew well.</p>

<p>so im just saying...you really need to have messed up somewhere in your app or else dont count on it. still appeal i you want so u have no regrets, but know the chances are slim.</p>

<p>Yes, accept UCSD before the May 1st deadline just in case your appeal is denied. My son appealed UCSD as couple of years ago and was approved a few days after the May 1st deadline. So, if you don't hear anything back from UCLA by the 4/30th you should accept UCSD. When your appeal is approved for UCLA you can cancel your UCSD acceptance. Also, remember to signup for the UCSD housing just in case you end up going there. There's no deposit due, you just have to say that you want housing and you are guaranteed a spot. If you miss the housing deadline your hosed.</p>

<p>My son accepted UCD's admittance and when he got into UCSD he submitted UCSD's SIR and then immediately cancelled UCD's admittance. You'll end up losing the $100 SIR deposit but that's not bad. </p>

<p>Don't cancel UCSD's until you are sure your UCLS SIR was accepted. You don't want to get screwed.</p>

<p>in my appeal what if put down that i got straight a's for senior year (4.167w -- 3.8uc gpa on my app), was an aime qualifier/school winner, + did 100 more hours community service, + send them a rec from my ap calc teacher saying that i had the highest grade in ap calc out of 60 students + that im involved in track 10hours/wk + and that only now i started taking education seriously</p>

<p>^^doesnt matter if u even got like a 6.0 GPA senior year, they dont care at all about senior grades. Otherwise uc applications would have asked for senior grades in the first place</p>

<p>atlantiz, what were your sat scores?</p>

<p>what i saw two minutes ago makes me really happy haha.</p>

<p>the ranking was 19. ucla and 19. ucsd. they're tied. I feel better about not going to ucla now. xD</p>

<p>ADiTaMi: what ranking? </p>

<p>and for ihavenolife...does it matter what SAT score i got? i dont think that would help your appeal cus they need new info that wasnt brought to their attention. senior year stuff doesnt count usually.</p>

<p>oh i don't remember some post with the 2007 ranking or w/e. </p>

<p>i mean it's not big deal but just something personal. lol</p>

<p>overworkedmom, i'm thrilled your son's appeal got through for UCSD! </p>

<p>may i ask what kind of information he put down that let the appeal go through as appeals are very difficult to reverse? i too want to appeal ucla because they gave me the uc merced/ucla shared experience where i'd be guaranteed admission if i go to uc merced for 2 years first... but i'm not accepting that</p>

<p>starrynight - he came within less than 30 pts from missing the UCSD cutoff so I think he just needed a slight nudge to get in. He appealed based on medical reasons and said that it was a special circumstance that caused unique personal challenges throughout his academic career. He also attached medical test results to support his case. He used the same basic appeal for Cal and UCSD, but Cal's appeal was denied. Last year I heard that UCSD had about 600 appeals and less than 30 were approved. It's a long shot but what's there to lose. All they can do is say no again.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>oh ok got it. that's great!</p>

<p>i know it's a longshot for sure.. but you're right the only thing they can do is say no again. do you think if i visited the admissions office in person to talk to them this would have any effect besides the letter? or would it be a waste of time?</p>

<p>thanks :)</p>

<p>I doubt that a visit would do much good, but if you are close to UCLA you can try. I'd spend more time writing a very convincing appeal letter and gather supporting documentation for your case. They seem to love documentation. My son also had to appeal 2nd year housing at UCSD and attached a lot of documentation w/ that appeal too. He didn't get 2nd year housing because his admissions appeal didn't get approved until after the housing deadlines. What a major pain that was.</p>

<p>Anyways, I'd recommend your appeal letter highlight information that was not in your application or was not emphasized. Give them some new information to re-evaluate your application. Things to appeal could be hardships that you didn't mention, any major accomplishment or achievements, medical or personal challenges, etc.</p>

<p>Appeals are tough but lots of luck to you!!</p>

<p>definitely noted, overworkedmom.</p>

<p>thanks so much for all of your advice! i really appreciate it. :)</p>

<p>um, not to burst your bubble, ADiTaMi, but those rankings are for the schools' engineering programs. ucla is (overall) ranked 26th and sd is 38th. so unless you're doing engineering, ucla is the better school, national rankings-wise.</p>