Accepted to University Studies

<p>For all those who are acc. to university studies can ask quesns so it will help in taking the correct decision...i got my dec day before........is virginia tech a good option for electrical engineering?? wt are the chances that i will get the major i want after joining university studies?
thanks</p>

<p>help from current or those who have done university studies and got their major successfully will be appreciated</p>

<p>has no1 been accepted to university studies this yr?!!</p>

<p>VT is a great option for electrical engineering; the problem is I don’t know how easy it is to transfer into ee. My understanding is engineering students apply for that freshman year, and freshman year is incredibly tough for engineer majors…weeding out lots of students. So, I assume you are planning on taking a lot of those freshman engineering courses, in the hopes that you can change your major? Can students not majoring in engineering take those courses? I don’t know…
You probably need to change the title of your thread, or find an engineering thread and ask your question.</p>

<p>It must be that a person has to do those which are common to his applied major for me those are CHEM 1035/1045 (General Chemistry & lab), ENGL 1105 (Freshman English), MATH 1114 (Linear Algebra),MATH 1205 (Calculus I) except engineering exploration which is only for engineering students…but my main ques is that how many students do get the major they want in the second sem. and nt that they are forced to do some major that they dont want to…</p>

<p>All I can say, is please create another thread titled “hope to transfer from university studies to Engineering…feasible or not?”
Your current title will not draw responses from engineering students, or students who switched into engineering.</p>

<p>It’s possible, and a decent number of people do it. If you keep your grades up you’ll be able to. Also look into taking the Engineering Exploration class at NRVCC (if they still do that) so that you won’t be a full year behind once you get into engineering.</p>

<p>Thanks chuy…</p>

<p>also which is the best for electrical engineering Purdue, virginia tech or penn state
which university’s degree has a better reputation and easier to get a job and whose campus is better. teachers and students also??</p>

<p>Yourfriend,</p>

<p>I would like to share my current situation with you. It pertains to this exactly.</p>

<p>I applied to Virginia Tech with a 4.055 GPA from a small Southeast Virginia high school. My SAT scores were slightly above average, but my math was about 10 points short for the engineering cutoff. I was admitted into University Studies as well and I received an e-mail from the lady over General Engineering with an attachment for switching. You need a few classes your freshman year:</p>

<p>1st Semester:
Chemistry 1035
Chemistry 1045 Lab
Freshman English
Math 1205 Calculus I
Linear Algebra
Engineering Exploration ENGE 1024</p>

<p>2nd Semester:
Engineering Design ENGE 1114/1104
Freshman English II
Math 1206 Calculus II
Vector Geometry
Physics
Physics Lab</p>

<p>Since engineering is a restricted major (you will learn about those at orientation), you cannot transfer in without those classes. Or you can attempt to find a loophole like I did.</p>

<p>At first I was sad that I wouldn’t get to transfer to engineering until Fall 2011. But then I found an alternate approach. I live near a Virginia Community College. I took an engineering equivalence class for ENGE 1024 over the summer and then set up my Virginia Tech classes with the other requirements for 1st semester. I kept my GPA above a 2.0. I passed all of my credit hours and they allowed me to transfer after Fall semester. I am currently an engineering major.</p>

<p>Of course I hate being an engineering major and I’m switching to Biological Sciences, but nevertheless I still got into General Engineering after 1 semester and I was right with the students who were admitted GE. If you live around a Virginia Community College, see if you can take an equivalence course over the summer. It will help you out. Also, if you can take anything like Calculus I/II over the summer, it would help you a lot. The 2nd semester for GE majors is kinda frustrating. I had class everyday of the week. Most of my classes were 8 a.m. and it sucks. Don’t let me discourage you. You might love it.</p>

<p>thanks a lot it really helped a lot…so is virginia tech a very good option to do electrical engineering i also have admission in penn state…so which 1 is better…im an international student so location does nt matter…whr are the people better and the teachers better…u have any regrets joining vt abt friends, campus anything else?</p>

<p>Simply which 1 is better and is worth going to…penn or vt?</p>

<p>Dont think class timings and all will be a prob m used to all that…
thanks</p>

<p>the only thing is are the teachers good and helpful…and the people at vt…</p>

<p>I got into University Studies after trying to get into the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>Honestly I would have to say Virginia Tech for anything engineering. You would have to Google Electrical Engineering college rankings, but I know that VT consistently ranks in the Top 20 for everything engineering. VT is also a research institute. You will get to do hands on projects along with your major and possibly even work with Ph.D professors on current projects. I know that my summer engineering teacher has a Bachelors and Masters in Electrical Engineering and a Ph.D in Engineering Education from VT. He told my class that when he was a student at Virginia Tech, one of his projects was working on a power adapter for laptops. They ended up designing a power adapter that was like 30% more efficient than the default charger for Dell computers. They sent their idea to Dell and Dell actually bought their idea and put it into production. I’ll find some research for you. That will be your best bet. Talk to people in the Penn State section and continue to post here on EE. Get as much information as you can. </p>

<p>[GRE</a> Guide - Electrical & Computer Engineering Rankings](<a href=“http://www.greguide.com/elecs.html]GRE”>University Rankings - Electrical)</p>

<p>On that website above, VT ranks 1 spot above Penn State. They rank 27 and 28 respectively.</p>

<p>[US</a> Top Electrical Engineering Ranking | World Ranking Guide](<a href=“http://worldranking.blogspot.com/2009/04/us-top-electrical-engineering-ranking.html]US”>US Top Electrical Engineering Ranking | World Ranking Guide)</p>

<p>On that website, Penn State ranks several spots above VT.</p>

<p>I guess it really depends on the year since it seems to fluctuate each year. I guess since they are so close to each other, choose the one that is cheaper. If you can get in-state at VT, go there. VT OOS is like 32k a year. Idk about Penn State because I didn’t apply. </p>

<p>I found a good website for helping you decide.</p>

<p>[2010</a> Electrical and Computer Engineering Rankings — PhDs.org Graduate School Guide](<a href=“http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/electrical-engineering]2010”>http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/electrical-engineering)</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about 1st year engineering at VT. I’m currently a 2nd semester freshman in General Engineering. I was originally going to be an Aerospace Engineering student, but decided against engineering altogether due to the technicality in the engineering program. Some people love it, some hate it (like me). It is all personal preference. Hope those websites help you.</p>

<ul>
<li>James</li>
</ul>

<p>Also on your post about teachers:</p>

<p>It really depends on who you get for what class. Of course some teachers are better than others. I can assure you that much. My 1st semester at VT was sort of mixed with good and bad teachers.</p>

<p>If you can avoid it, do NOT get Zwiesler for Math 1205 - Calculus. If you can get Amateis for Chemistry 1035 - General Chemistry, by all means do it. Trivedi also isn’t a bad option for Chem 1035, but avoid Arachchige if you can. I had her for a professor and I hated my life.</p>

<p>A good website for you to look at when picking classes is:</p>

<p>K O O F E R S.com with no spaces. It will * out K O O F E R S if you type it together.
and
ratevtteachers.com</p>

<p>Just type in the professor name and a list of ratings with come up for them. That is the best way to register for classes. Then you avoid getting unhelpful teachers.</p>

<p>Now if Chuy replies to this, he will most definitely tell you to get Chang for Physics 2305. By all means do that. The guy has a 4.99/5 rating on both websites. You absolutely can’t beat him. </p>

<p>Now as for students, I wouldn’t really know. I didn’t live on campus my first semester, but I do this semester. I haven’t really made any friends since I’ve went to college at VT. I’m also not very outgoing either though. Most people I’ve seen have had no trouble adjusting, making friends, etc and love it at VT. Everyone is really friendly, but I guess my problem is that I just don’t communicate with them. As long as you try to get to know people, you will do fine with other students.</p>

<p>As in my last message, feel free to PM me with any questions.</p>

<p>I think I heard Chang wasn’t teaching 2305 this year. The physics professors in general seem better than they used to be though. Avoid Slawney like the plague.</p>

<p>I was irritated when my professor was changed from Chang to Joyce. I did my whole Spring schedule around him and then he doesn’t teach that CRN; however he did end up teaching a section of Phys 2305 this semester. Unfortunately I couldn’t fit it into my schedule. He might teach Phys 2305 next year though. It won’t matter then though.</p>

<p>james, i just wanted to know are there any students who do not get the major they want and are forced to do something else? also being an international student will i loose few months if i join university studies? when and where will i do the engineering exploration class? will the teachers help me in this?</p>

<p>Students typically get the major they want after they get to VT. Most of the time as long as you meet a GPA requirement, you are in. Some majors are restricted and require some classes to be completed before you can transfer in, but after you meet the requirements you should have no problem transferring in.</p>

<p>For example if you apply General Engineering, you might not get that major. You will be placed in University Studies and sent an information document on how to transfer. They don’t mention the summer course at New River Community College though. =/</p>

<p>You never really get forced to do something else as a major. You can keep working towards the major you want or you can do something else if you choose. The only time you have to pick a major is when you have 60 credits at VT. You can no longer be in University Studies if you have 60 credits, you have to pick something. You can always choose a different major at a later time though. </p>

<p>If you choose to be in University Studies and transfer into Engineering, you should have no problem graduating on time. Register for all of the courses that the engineering students are taking except for the Engineering Exploration course. Sign up for:</p>

<p>General Chemistry
General Chemistry Lab
Calculus I
Elementary Linear Algebra
Freshman English
Elective</p>

<p>Then you can put your name on a list to get into the Engineering exploration course in the Spring. It isn’t restricted to engineering majors then. Make sure you keep your GPA high though, because that is how they decide on who gets into the course.</p>

<p>In the Spring, make sure you sign up for:</p>

<p>Physics
Physics Lab
Calculus II
Vector Geometry
English II
Engineering Exploration I
Elective (If you want, not required.)</p>

<p>Now here is the part where you must decide what you want to do. You can either take the 2nd engineering exploration course over the summer or you can take it in the Fall. If you wait until Fall, you will be a semester behind. The best thing and the one I recommend is to take the course at New River Community College. It is about 15-20 minutes from Virginia Tech and the 2nd engineering course is offered during the summer there. It will transfer to VT and you will go straight into your major in Fall 2012.</p>

<p>You could always just taken the 1st engineering exploration class at New River Community College this summer. You will still go into VT as a University Studies major, but you will transfer Spring 12 instead of Fall 12. You also won’t have to take the Summer 2012 Engineering Exploration II course, because you will be able to register for it in Spring 2012 since they will transfer you from US to GE after one semester at Virginia Tech.</p>

<p>You can e-mail several people on campus about the switch to General Engineering. I don’t know her e-mail right now, but you can search VT for a woman named Christi Boone. She can answer most of your University Studies to General Engineering questions. I don’t know much about the actual transfer process. I just turned in my form, kept at least a 2.0 GPA and passed my courses. Then I was transferred. Easy as that.</p>

<p>If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a private message or reply here.</p>

<p>Note that the above does not apply to CAUS. Most majors aren’t that tough to get in to as long as you do alright in your classes. Engineering is kind of a pain due to the EE prereq for pretty much all of the engineering classes. CAUS is an absolute nightmare.</p>