Accepting Offer and Registering for NSC- Confused

I am confused by A&M’s process. I will call Monday but thought I would ask here.

Two years ago, my older son thought he had to accept his offer in order to register for housing. A&M was not his first choice, but he wanted to save his housing spot in case he ended up going there. He accepted his offer, registered for the NSC and housing. I called Admissions and was told he did not need to accept NSC offer to sign up for housing and it would be better if he did not accept his offer until he was certain he was coming.

With that in mind, I made sure my son did not accept his offer this year until he has a chance to see other offers. He was able to register for housing so I thought it was all good. But this morning, her showed me the AIS screen and it says- register for NSC before accessing other services such as Housing.

This is confusing! Does he need to accept the offer and sign up for the NSC even though he is not sure he is going there?

In the past, for housing, one had be admitted to the university but did not have to accept their admissions to the university to do so. Just had to make sure to decline the admissions before May 1 and request the housing deposit before May 1, should he decide to go elsewhere.

One had to accept their admissions in order to register for NSC.

Also, one had 30 days to accept their admissions for guaranteed on campus housing. So, even if one applied for housing, but does not accept their admission until February, then decided they wanted A&M, they won’t be on the guaranteed housing list, but most likely wait listed.

I just looked at old emails and my son was accepted on Nov 6 to A&M and applied for housing at on the same day.He did not accept his A&M admissions until he heard back from UT, which was February. Things may have changed since that admissions cycle (for fall 2016).

With the new housing format, I am not sure how it works now. Here is what it says for “after you are admitted”
https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/checklist

Then the housing portal says this http://reslife.tamu.edu/

I also found this:

Texas A&M University has implemented freshman priority assignments in all Residence Halls and at White Creek Apartments beginning Fall 2015.
Students must be officially admitted to Texas A&M before they are eligible to apply for on-campus housing and every effort will be made to accommodate as many freshmen as possible. Housing assignments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis—established by the housing priority date, which is defined as the date the housing application, including fee, is received in the Housing Assignments Office. Priority housing will be given to freshmen who apply for housing within 30 days of being admitted to Texas A&M, if space is available. Apply as soon as possible because space is limited.

Freshmen who apply for housing after 30 days of being admitted to Texas A&M will be considered for on-campus housing—if space is available and after all other priority students have been accommodated. All housing assignments will be based on the housing priority date, so the sooner students apply, the greater chance of getting their top choice of housing options. Admitted students can apply for housing on the Texas A&M University myHousing Portal.

Do update if one must now accept their admissions to apply for housing.

I vaguely recall something similar on my son’s this past year. He applied for housing immediately in September but did not accept his admission until March I believe. His AIS prompted him to pick an NSC date to accept admission and I do not believe he was able to access the rest of the housing portal until he did that. I could be wrong but I think it may have been the portion of the housing portal that lets you do roommate selection, building selection, etc.

Thanks. He’s done the building selection etc. I’ll call Monday to see what this year’s process isand report back.

In looking back at receipts and other paperwork we kept, son applied for housing in Nov when accepted and though did not accept admissions until Feb, he was still priority housing, due to the application date, and not the date he accepted his admissions.

Look forward to the update @gettingschooled Thanks so much

Forgot to update. Called admissions yesterday and the process is the same as in previous years. You do not have to accept admission to register for housing. The sentence at the top of AIS is confusing.