Access Codes/ Textbooks

<p>Hi ya’ll! I’m an incoming freshman for the fall semester. I’ve been silently reading this forum for a while, but I think the time has come for me to register and ask for some advice of my own. So here it goes: A lady at the supe store told me the textboook for my french class (FR 201) includes an access code to a website even though the listing doesn’t say it does. So, I was wondering do language classes often use websites for assignments or homework? The book at the supply store costs $180, while just the book (with no code) can be bought from the publisher directly for $105. I don’t mind paying extra if I’m going to use the code, but I’ll be a little mad if I buy it and don’t use it. And more generally, do a lot of professors integrate websites into the class? It just comes as a suprise to me because I’m so used to books and paper. Guess I’m old-fashioned! Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Are you talking about Web-Assign or something similar for language classes?</p>

<p>If so, that price difference seems high. Web-Assign is about $40, I thought. </p>

<p>But, this may be some different thing that costs more.</p>

<p>I do think you do have to use the Web-Assign or similar if required. It may be how you turn in homework.</p>

<p>In college, often you turn in your homework online…not by turning in paper…</p>

<p>Thank you!!! It’s called Websam. If you buy online it costs about $60 for the code. Maybe it’s so high because the books are 2012 editions?? </p>

<p>I was surprised because a relative of mine goes to Alabama too, and he never had to buy access codes or anything. It’ll be my 1st semester, and already 2 of my classes require them.</p>

<p>what is your relative’s major? It may not require the classes that require these things.</p>

<p>But, the answer to your question is yes, you need them.</p>

<p>He’s majoring in political science I think. My other class that is requiring it is EC 110, so it seems to span multiple subjects.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help!!! I really appreciate it! I never suspected that buying books would be so complicated. lol</p>