Access to Birth Control at Georgetown?

Does the Georgetown campus health clinic provide free condoms, birth control pills to prevent pregnancy, IUD insertions, or the Plan B “morning after” pill for its undergraduate students? Thank you.

2 Likes

No. They will prescribe hormone pills for medical issues not solely for contraception.

2 Likes

Georgetown requires students to have health insurance. Some of the items you listed would probably be covered (with a possible deductible).

There are many drug stores around. also Hoyas for Choice is a student group that distributes free condoms. It isn’t ideal but given its location in dc your reproductive health is much more protected than in most of the country! Prob better to get pill prescription from your own doctor or clinic.

2 Likes

Hi, I understand there’s a work-around by going off campus for birth control pills or condoms. I was just wondering if birth control is provided on campus, as an indicator for the Catholic tone of the school. This excellent school sounds like it’s actively Catholic vs historically Catholic.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. My kid attended a Jesuit college on the opposite coast. There was no birth control dispensed by the student health center. But there were plenty of pharmacies and doctors, and clinics, and planned parenthood within a very very short distance of the campus. Same is true for Georgetown.

1 Like

Georgetown is “Catholic in name only”. It is a progressive school located in a very liberal city.

7 Likes

No it is quite progressive with a progressive and diverse faculty and student body, it is no Notre Dame. LGBTQ community for example is very active and warmly embraced. Agree with the issues you noted but the school is Jesuit and embracing and NOT sectarian in the way you mean. My secular Jewish progressive daughter loved it (and handed out free condoms for Hoyas for choice).

3 Likes

Are there any colleges that provide free IUDs, birth control pills or Plan B pills? None of the colleges that the collegekids have attended have- and none of them were Catholic schools.

I see where you are going, but imo it’s not a good proxy. As @thumper1 pointed out, Catholic universities are not homogenous, and the Jesuit run ones are ime meaningfully different. I think that @vpa2019 is overstating it here:

but read what they say themselves: Jesuit Identity and Values | Georgetown

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. By “Actively Catholic” I meant that the University complies with the Catholic Church’s position on birth control.

Thank you, relaxmom. Helpful.

1 Like

Hi CollegeMom3717 - Yes, the campus health services of state public schools provide students with free condoms, birth control pills, emergency contraception and IUDs. I don’t know about other private schools, however.

Wow…well look what you learn on CC! We have one in a state public school atm, and (having just checked) turns out they do provide most (though not all) of the things you listed for free to students who qualify!

6 Likes

As far as their position on contraception? They in no way adhere, support or encourage the Catholic position on contraception. I’d also posit that they definitely fall into the progressive/liberal category on most of their policies and campus culture.

If you want all of these birth control related things provided to you by your school health service…perhaps you need to look for schools that do this. I am not sure you will find this at any Catholic college…even the Jesuit schools which are very ecumenical don’t provide these services at their health centers.

With the unfortunate exception of providing birth control or abortions at UHS I would otherwise agree that the university is liberal and ecumenical and being in DC access to reproductive services isn’t an issue. Would much rather send my kids to Georgetown than to a secular school in a red state where they would have much less access to reproductive care. Having said that I totally agree that this Georgetown position may be a deal breaker for some. I am honestly surprised it wasn’t for my d, but she did her part against those views and generally loved the school (as mentioned above she is a secular progressive Jewish kid).

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you . . . I was just asking because I wanted to know.

1 Like

They provide birth control as long as it’s for a “medical reason” which means they’ll provide it. But it isn’t free.

1 Like

Just found school policy in Student Health site FAQs: Student Health Center Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | Student Health Services | Georgetown University

“We can prescribe hormonal contraceptives if medically indicated but not solely for contraception. Some examples of medical indications are: acne, irregular periods, heavy periods, cramps, and polycystic ovary syndrome.”

1 Like

Yes, most of those are fairly generic medical conditions so obtaining birth control pills, an implant or an IUD to address/treat any of them wouldn’t be difficult.