ACT help

Ok so my act scores are the only thing someone holding me back I sent both my 28 and my 27 to UW even though tthey don’t superscore
C: 28
E:30
M:32
R:23 (yeah I know)
S: 26

C:27
E: 25
M:26
R:28
S:28

I know I jump around a lot, but how much does UW consider test scores? I know that I am in the middle 50% range is that enough?

Are you a Wisconsin resident?

What is your GPA?

No I’m from New Jersey where not a lot of kids apply, if that helps. And 3.9

@Madison85

About 50-55% of non resident applicants and 70% of resident applicants are admitted.

I don’t know if it matters at all what nonresident state you are from.

UW strongly considers test scores and GPA over everything else.

i am out of state with a 28 ACT and a 97 average. solid all around app with essays, ec’s and community service. UW Madison is my first choice. I heard more out of state applications will be accepted this year. Does anyone know if that is true? any opinion on my chances @madison85

Average chance.

Yes, more out of state people are allowed to be accepted this year.

Sounds good. You seem to have good study habits to get that high gpa with middle ACT scores for UW. Looks like you can be a successful student. I assume you have taken a rigorous class schedule at your HS- ie AP/Honors courses if available.

@wis75 if I have a 3.9 weighted with about a 3.71 unweighted with those ACT scores how are my chances?

Oh- so only a 3.7 gpa. Puts you into that vast middle number of students. Since you have a higher weighted gpa you must have been given points for honors/AP/et al. Not all HS’s weight grades. You are expected to do well in the most rigorous classes available to you. Probable but never any guarantees.

@Madison85 What about acceptance rate for international students? :slight_smile:

http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf

2015 Acceptance rate of applicants:

67% Wisconsin residents
43% Minnesota residents
36% Internationals
49% Overall rate

Remember that the percentage of internationals being rejected could reflect on their stats. Likely not available, but it would be useful to know the distribution of gpa’s and test scores of a group of applicants. Are foreigners rejected because the pool has so many highly qualified, or lesser qualified applicants? Is the language score the reason? People do apply regardless of meeting requirements. Do these people apply at places where they know their chances are slim more so than those from the US? Wish we knew rates for those in different credentials groups.

I have a 32 ACT and a 3.65 unweighted gpa with 11 APs.

is that pretty much auto admit?

no. UW may think you do not know how to study and may not succeed based on your grades (unless the gpa is based on improved grades junior year). If you had a higher ACT with those grades they may think you were bored is the reason. Apply and see what happens. If you are a clear admit you are likely to hear back within weeks.

@wis75 I know they like to see that 4.12 junior year and that 4.6 so far senior year am I right?

Wisconsin may think that a kid with a 32 and an A- average who has taken 11 APs doesn’t know how to study? I understand the OOS aspect, but this candidate is stronger than the average in state candidate they accept and they think that person knows how to study. At my kid’s OOS HS the admitted average is 3.58 and ACT of 30, and no one at any ( yes, any) ACT with a GPA over 3.3 has been denied in the past 5 years. This is with 140 applicants and 18 matriculants. 80% admit rate. No weighting, no ranking at this school, and if you’ve taken 6 AP you’ve taken a lot. I understand there are no guarantees, especially in the OOS crowd, but let’s not pretend a 32 with an A- UW average and 11 AP is anything other than a very good student who has applied him/herself and chosen a rigorous course of study.

@doubtful At my kids’ high school, a 3.65 GPA is likely not even in the top half.

@pepper1700 what is your class rank?

Then you have a HS full of very smart kids who demonstrate a remarkable mastery of the subject matter. Isn’t that what A- indicates? I’m never sure how to analyze that, precisely. No one had a 4.0 in my kid’s class at the end of freshman year. Nearly 25% of the class gets National Merit award. You will likely get assigned homework due on the day of your AP exam in that class, and no one really cares about the test. It’s not taught to. You’re on your own. UW is a safety school as evidenced by less than 15% of the kids who get accepted actually going there. And we love it, and my kid loves it and expects to go there, as at all the other schools he’s applying to a 3.8, 34, great ECs, great recs but no hook mean you’re meh – average, at best.

What is the source for your statement that fewer than 15% of accepted students attend UW?