ACT today, DS trying to pull a 30-anyone else?

<p>My DS was so hyped up this a.m before leaving, he has been tutoring for 10 weeks and really hopes to pull his 26 up to a 30. It’s a big feat but he’s proved in practice tests that it’s possible for him. Who else is out there waiting to hear how it went? We will be very impatient waiting for the scores.</p>

<p>I’m just as impatient, based on the fact that I’m hoping for a 34 or higher, haha</p>

<p>Best wishes for your son!</p>

<p>I hope he also takes the SAT as well…sometimes it’s easier to get the M+CR score on the SAT…I think that’s a 1330.</p>

<p>my son just got back a little while ago. He has been studying, maybe not as hard as I would like, but he has been practicing. He is signed up for the October one, and the SAT too. Nothing to do now but wait, and keep him practicing for the next one incase he did not get the 30 on this one!</p>

<p>My D took it today also - she’s trying to raise a 31 to a 32, although she doesn’t seem to be trying very hard. She did no prep whatsoever - sigh. She said English and Math were easy, Reading and Science were tough (i.e., she ran out of time). She’s gotten 33’s and 34’s in the past in everything but Science - she just can’t get the hang of that one and her composites are always dragged down by abysmal science scores.</p>

<p>beth’s mom, I have posted this before so this is a repeat but my S was stuck on 31 composite thanks to Science dragging his score down. When I called his ACT tutor she knew exactly what to do and tutored him specifically on Science. His Science score went from a 27(or 26?) to a 33 qualifying him for the Presidential Scholarship. Also, this score was taken after the Dec deadline (Dec 10 exam) and S received this scholarship offer in Feb or March. Although a 32 prior to 12/1 is an assured scholarship, my advice is if S/D is on the cusp to take the December ACT anyway, you never know.
Before this offer, S was headed to either South Carolina (accepted into Int’l Business program) or Georgia Tech. Earlier this week he said how happy he was with choosing UA: cannot believe the opportunities he has and having a great time with his new friends and SEC football! All this from an die-hard AU grad living in UT country!</p>

<p>Although a 32 prior to 12/1 is an assured scholarship, my advice is if S/D is on the cusp to take the December ACT anyway, you never know.</p>

<p>Just to clarify…the Nov ACT is also considered too late for an ASSURED scholarship, but do take it if necessary, because as kmw mentions, sometimes you get the award later. </p>

<p>For assured scholarships…</p>

<p>Nov SAT</p>

<p>Oct ACT</p>

<p>of senior year.</p>

<p>Just took it today~ hoping for a 31+.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Can you pls pm the contact here - perhaps would like another student!</p>

<p>I will also suggest Khan Academy as an adjunct to study guides, he has been getting a lot of press lately.
[Khan</a> Academy](<a href=“http://www.khanacademy.org/]Khan”>http://www.khanacademy.org/)</p>

<p>My DS arrived home yesterday and couldn’t believe that the science was his worst so far, it took him so much time and had to random answer some at the end. He was planning on 33-34 science because his Eng and Read aren’t so high. Oh well, we’ll see what happens and keep Oct date on the calendar!</p>

<p>one of the best tips i found on cc years ago was regarding the science portion…think it was curmudgeon that posted it… the student should avoid spending all the time reading the questions but instead spend it on the graphs and charts…that is where the answer is. If they are worried about the topic of the question (ie it isnt something they are familiar with) then they get hung up on thinking they dont know the answers.
my son did try this method and improved his scores in science quite a bit</p>

<p>also son was not willing to sit there with act study books etc, but he would spend some time with this study guide (seemed less intimidating i guess)…you can search for acosta act guides…</p>

<p>Lorlor, my D said this science section was the hardest she’s seen. She guessed the entire last section of the science portion without reading a word. She ran out of time on Reading, too, but at least skimmed the passage before answering the questions. Of course, based on her previous poor performance on the science section, she may be better off with pure guessing.</p>

<p>There are posts in the ACT prep section on CC about the ACT on 9/10. Everyone is complaining about the difficulty of the science section. It seems like the advice about the not reading the article and using the graphs to answer questions would not work this time. So it threw a lot of timing off. And you needed to have taken an advanced course in Biology, Chemistry, and geology to answer some of the questions.</p>

<p>I can corroborate that^. I usually just read the graphs and I got 32s and 34s on the science section. This time, just reading the graphs had me very confused and threw me off</p>

<p>those who are weaker in the science sections should take the SAT as well. No science section. And you only have to practice (or care about) 2 sections. lol</p>

<p>That is great advice M2CK and traditionally one test is the hardest every year. Hopefully, the next test will be the easier one.</p>

<p>Yes, my son said of the 3 he has taken this was by far the hardest. Does anyone know if these are scored on a curve?</p>

<p>I just answered my own question by reading the Sept ACT thread, many students have posted about the curve for this test.</p>