ACT without Writing

<p>Good afternoon - I think I may have goofed. I signed my son up to retake the ACT just to pump up his math score so I didn’t have him sign up for the writing. This will be his second time taking the test, the first time he did take writing. I realize Alabama does not superscore but they use the only the CR & M portions of the SAT towards scholarships - so do they only use the non-writing portion of the ACT towards scholarships as well? He had an overall 31 on his ACT but really would like to get a 32 or higher, at least finish the math problems this time but it just dawned on me that I don’t know if Alabama will look at it without the writing? Anyone know? Thank you.</p>

<p>The UA does require either the SAT or ACT writing section, but it doesn’t have to be from the highest scoring test as long as the student has a writing score on file. You are correct, the UA does not super score, but the higher composite ACT score or SAT (M & CR from the same test) will determine the scholarship level. Good luck!</p>

<p>I think your son will be fine, but if you’re still not sure, I think he can pay on site to do the essay.</p>

<p>If so, I think he just has to get there early on Saturday and pay for the essay part.</p>

<p>Did you look on the ACT website? </p>

<p>That said, I don’t think he has to have the Essay part on this test as long as he has it on a previous test.</p>

<p>UA requires the writing portion of the ACT ! I had to take it again just for that .</p>

<p>LittlemissBAMA - My son has already taken the ACT once with the writing and got a 31. However, his lowest score was math since he did not complete the questions. He thought if he retook the test he could possible raise the math score and other parts of the test would probably stay the same and just disregard the writing since that is already on file. The scores are for scholarship(s) at this point. BTW, I do have an email into the admissions office as well. Thank you.</p>

<p>threeofthree we found out the hard way. DD took ACT 4 times and got a 31 after starting off with a 29. It’s really hard to pull the score up when you are in the 30 range.
Your S might pull up his math score but usually some other section will drop ending up with a 31 again. Thats what happened to my DD. After her second 31 and the 4th time I told she probably wouldn’t get a 32. Wow did that fire her up and yes she ended up with her 32 and she showed me up. I felt rotten but she got the scholarship that we needed.
You should be good on the writing because I don’t think it needs to be with the high score. Only Math, Science, English.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, I actually think I found the answer on the Q&A at UA site about the ACT/SAT - it’s same scenario just reversed and it appears he should be good. IBamaDad, you may be correct about the unlikelyhood of raising his score but he took the ACT without really any prep - most folks around here take the SAT, in fact, that’s all I remember from the early '70’s when we were apply to college in Texas, don’t even recall an ACT. However, since he’s only taken it once and his skipping the game tonight (so he says) he should be able to study for it and take a watch this time and finish the math section!</p>