Action Card Question

<p>My daughter will be a new freshman in the fall. There is currently $12.02 on her action card. Where did that come from? Do I have to put the $300 (?) that is required to be on her card or does that get put there from the tuition I pay?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Your D isn’t req’d to have $300 on her Action card from you. She’ll have $3XX Dining Dollars put on though. that will happen thru billing. The $3XX Dining Dollars is a separate line item on billing…it’s not part of tuition.</p>

<p>Is that leftover funds from her Bama Bound dining allowance?</p>

<p>The $12 certainly sounds like it is left over from Bama Bound. BB placed enough money on the card for lunch and dinner at BB. My son did not realize that and he paid out of pocket in cash for meals.</p>

<p>cat – You should put some money on the card for laundry. Other than that, I don’t think she will need much on it.</p>

<p>Yes, put $100 or so on the card for laundry. Students get a discount for using the Act cards for laundry rather than quarters.</p>

<p>No longer a discount for using your ACT card to do laundry. :frowning: It’s $1.25 per load to wash or dry whether you pay by card or in quarters. We only put $20 at a time on D’s card since it can be used by anyone if it were lost/stolen.</p>

<p>Bummer! The discount was a nice deal.</p>

<p>We were told at BAMA Bound that the discount still applied for laundry. Guess a phone call is in order to confirm. Will still probably load it up since easier that sending him off with multiple rolls of quarters!</p>

<p>I am still confused about Bama Cash/dining dollars- we add to card and it will designate whether is it pulled from DD or Bama cash?</p>

<p>The card is a Smart Card and knows where to pull money from. Purchases from campus vendors (like Starbucks) and vending machines get deducted from Dining Dollars.</p>

<p>Other purchases - including some off-campus places and laundry - get deducted from Bama Cash.</p>

<p>Thanks M2CK</p>

<p>It is quite possible that Housing worked with the vendor to provide a discount on laundry machine usage paid with Bama Cash, but it is more likely that the person providing the information hasn’t used campus laundry machines in the year or so that the discount hasn’t existed.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone. I am still a bit confused about what Dining Dollars are.</p>

<p>Here is a very small video to watch. It might help? It’s called “Bama Cash vs Dining Dollars.” [Redirect</a> Difference](<a href=“http://actcard.ua.edu/pages/Redirect%20Difference.htm]Redirect”>http://actcard.ua.edu/pages/Redirect%20Difference.htm)
If your student does not use D$s, they roll over into the next semester…and can be refunded back to you upon request. (Excess Bama Cash is also refundable.)<br>
What specific questions do you have about D$?</p>

<p>^^^Aeromom, as many parents are unhappy that they have to pay $600 a year for dining dollars, it is nice you mentioned that it is refundable at the end of the school year if your child does NOT use the entire amount. S had about $350 refunded to him, which was reflected as a credit on his Fall 2013 bill (which basically paid this semester’s required $300). Of course he completed the required paperwork at the end of this year so it would be credited this way and not just rolled over to bama cash (he doesn’t need that much for laundry etc.).</p>

<p>thanks for the information everyone! i have a better understanding of it all now.</p>

<p>I thought that we were told at BB that DD aren’t refunded…</p>