Action Card

<p>Hi, My son will start UA next month as a new freshman and I have a question about the Action Card. Is it linked to his student account where tuition, dorm, etc., are, as in, can he pay for bookstore purchases with scholarship money? </p>

<p>He received a generous one-year scholarship from a local club but already had tuition and housing paid for by university scholarships, so we were hoping he could buy his books and maybe his laptop by using his Action Card at the bookstore and that would go into his student account.</p>

<p>The local club won’t give him the scholarship check directly; it will be sent to UA to be deposited into his student account.</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Typically, scholarships are credited to the billing account…and if there is a positive balance it is returned in a check to the student. …but will your son have a positive balance once the other charges occur on his acct?</p>

<p>The money isn’t tied to his Action card.</p>

<p>It sounds like your son’s tuition and housing are covered, but what about meal plan, dining dollars, course fees? Those will be billed as well. </p>

<p>How is his meal plan and course fees being paid?</p>

<p>Which scholarship(s) does your son have from the school? Is he a NMF or NA scholar?</p>

<p>He has the Presidential scholarship (tuition), Alabama High School Physics scholarship (value of tuition), and the Engineering Leadership scholarship from the university. Then the local Rotary Club has given him a very nice one-year scholarship too. Yes, those course fees and meal plan do help with spending the money. :)</p>

<p>Ok…</p>

<p>so the presidential pays for tuition…</p>

<p>And the Physics $8600 scholarship pays for dorm (which dorm is he in)?</p>

<p>And…he has 2500 from engineering.</p>

<p>Your son probably will not get the “leftover money” check from Bama until a couple of weeks after school starts. I think he can have the money “direct deposited” into a checking account and then he could buy stuff with it.</p>

<p>However, if he needs to money earlier for a computer and books, he may need to use a credit card for those purchases, and then pay the bill when he gets the “left over” check.</p>

<p>It looks like his meal plan, dining dollars, and course fees will be paid out of that same account. That is great to know about the refund check, thanks! Will PM you re dorm.</p>

<p>You also need to go to MyBama…Home tab…center column…Pay your student Bill…to see what has been billed and what has come in for those expenses.</p>

<p>So if I understand correctly. Books bought at the Supe store can only be paid for with “real money” and can’t be bought with scholarship money or student loan money that is on their student account?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>Right…</p>

<p>People generally buy/charge those expenses…and then reimburse themselves or pay off their charges with the checks they get a couple of weeks after school starts.</p>

<p>I would call and find out how soon that check can be created. I know that you can also get it direct deposited to an acct.</p>

<p>For the most part, this isn’t a problem because usually scholarship money is already spent on tuition, room, board, course fees. Not that many people get so much scholarship money, etc, that nearly all of the COA is covered…especially if there is an EFC.</p>

<p>There is a Supe Store scholarship that is granted to a few students. lil bro received $150 a semester last year. That’s the only scholarship that I know of (besides athletic) that you can use to pay for your books etc etc.</p>