Actor-Singer Track

My son is MT Only, but is willing to do the new Actor-Singer Track. Will applying for both increase his chances of getting accepted? How many MT kids, Actor-Singer kids and Acting kids is Syracuse looking for? Any thoughts?

@DorkyDad My daughter auditioned in November. They said they were looking for 20-23 students each for MT and for Acting. A few of the accepted Acting students will be chosen for the Actor-Singer track. They can not specifically audition for the track. There is a tremendous cross over between both programs. MT students are cast in plays and Acting students in musicals. Acting students can take voice and dance lessons. Several of the Acting students we spoke with are MT kids but are very happy in the acting program.

Thanks. My son will audition there in January. What did your daughter think?

Syracuse was my daughters first choice. She fell in love with the drama dept . She is a MT kid but after alot of research decided to put acting down as her first choice. She is not a fan of having to take so much ballet as a MT student. She applied early decision and was accepted for BFA Acting. She was interested in the actor singer track as well but will be just as happy with acting . Audition day was warm, friendly and fun. I hope your sons experience is just as wonderful.

Congrats to your daughter!!! My son is MT Only, but we are thinking of expanding to both MT and Acting to increase his chances. We’ll see how he likes the campus and people there. My son can do without the dancing too but he can’t give up the singing.

Best of luck on the rest of his audition season .

I wish he was in your daughter’s shoes. We didn’t apply ED and he has many more auditions to go and I guess at least 2 more months of waiting. I don’t think decisions come out until late February into mid March. But he is handling it well so we’ll see where this ride ends for him.

There are 5 kids in the Actor Singer track this year. I don’t think even saying there is a lot of crossover at Syracuse covers it - all of the drama kids share some of the same classes and professors and when they are allowed to begin auditioning for school shows, they all audition together with no differentiation between acting or MT majors. They all have the opportunity to sign up for voice lessons and dance class if they want and if they are able to fit it into their schedule. From my perspective as a parent observing from far away, it has been really great to see how seamlessly they all seem to fit together and I really appreciate that there does not seem to be the kind of division between the different types of drama dept. majors that I’ve read about at other programs.

I talked to my son about it. I think he is going to switch from MT Only to both MT and Acting. It doesn’t seem like he will have to give up singing if he gets into the Acting Program at Syracuse like at other programs. His Syracuse audition is 2 weeks from Saturday. Does anyone know how many kids got past the prescreen at Syracuse this year?

Where did he end up? So curious now. :slight_smile: