Admin chance Please!

<p>Looking for any feedback on my chances to attend my #1 School Texas A&M and join the Corps of Cadets. Stats are:
Class rank 28%ile weighted- competitive NY school (206/740 grad class)
SAT M 640, CR 550 (Just took again in Nov. awaiting results)
GPA unweighted 3.7
Many honors classes
Varsity letter athletics Alpine skiing (captain), Crew
Robotics Team, captain
NHS
Community service at local soup kitchen, tons of hours
Civil Air Patrol 4 years- officer rank
Over 300+ hrs community service, last 4 years
Student pilot - taking oral and final before Christmas
Work - Own landscaping/snowplow business
Application sent in early September 2011 and all documentation is complete, verified with phone call.
Applied for Aerospace engineering and Business.</p>

<p>I understand I fall short of the 25%/1300 auto admits, and looking for any feedback. I did visit A&M with my father in September and it was a remarkable time. The staff, students, campus, programs and Corps of Cadets are exactly what I was looking for. It was worth the 4 day trip to visit and would do it again. Will definitely chance back and give stats when and if accepted.</p>

<p>I’m going to be honest and tell you that your chances are not looking that great, unless your new scores improved a lot. It’s not to say that you are not good, just that it is hard to get into A&M as an OOS with your current scores. Don’t get discouraged though. You might get a lucky break and make it in, in which case we will be fellow fishy aeros (if I go to A&M)</p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC App</p>

<p>Thank you. I really do appreciate the honesty. So OOS are looked at with more scrutiny? I did retake the SAT early this month. Hope the scores are better, 1190 combined Math/Read I know are not great. Can’t do much about the class rank. Competitive school in Upstate NY. If I were at another school nearby I’m told I would be in the 18-20% rank or better. Looking at calling prospective student center for counseling and advice also. When I visited the campus in September, I was told I would qualify as in State tuition from receiving a scholarship from the Corps. Hope I get the opportunity to be a fellow fishy with you. Thanks!!</p>

<p>iAV8Rboy, I believe you will be accepted, especially wanting to join the Corps. Your EC’s are good, your community service is great, civil air patrol, owning your own business, leadership. You have made an official visit to A&M. I do believe admissions knows competitive high schools, even out of state.
Please do call Prospective Student Center at A&M and ask your questions. You have picked some difficult majors to be accepted into. If you picked Business as your second choice you will not be admitted to business… Some college’s have that stipulation. I would ask about your choices when you call the prospective student center. I really have no idea how fast Aero fills up, but I can see that is where you would like to be.
Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>You have similar statistics as my daughter. She was accepted as a part of Blinn TEAM. She had some specific unique high school activities tied to her intended major. She also was a student leader at her competitive high school. </p>

<p>She loves Blinn TEAM and was able to get housing on campus in a living learning community. She has also already become involved in several campus leadership organizations. </p>

<p>The only hard part was the wait. She didn’t find out until late April or early May. I can’t remember exactly. We had a back up plan fully in place at another 4 year university. Now, she is going to apply to transfer fully in early, so we will be waiting again.</p>

<p>In her opinion, it was well worth the stress and waiting because she loves being an Aggie.</p>

<p>Thank you TMD10609. I truly appreciate the feedback. I’m not sure what challenges the commute will pose being part of the Corps of Cadets but I’m sure it will be worth it if that becomes an option. I’m happy for your daughter being an Aggie!</p>

<p>Thank you KLparker!!! I have read many of your posts and find you have great advice and honest guidance to everyone. Because of your suggestions in a previous post I did contact the admissions officer at the Corps to review majors, and contacted the Prospective Student Center at A&M (yesterday :)) Have an appointment to review and discuss with an admissions counselor today via phone since I am a little geographically challenged (Upstate NY)! Already I have decided to change the Business to Physics based on previous reads of yours. Thank you, I really appreciate your advice. After today I will find out what the PSC at A&M suggests. It’s likely Aero will also fill up since most other engineering is also. I will post progress and findings as they happen. Big thank you to “Y’all” (got to get used to saying that I hope!) and I’ll be posting any updates as they happen.</p>

<p>They had several Corps students in her orientation and<br>
have made specific adjustments to maximum hours to make the Corps requirements work.</p>

<p>I hope you receive full admittance, so you don’t have to juggle both campuses. Good luck and keep us posted!</p>

<p>Man, I have been a busy boy haha. Well, after reading your new posts, I have changed my mind and I am sure you will be admitted since you mentioned you qualified for in-state tuition for being in the corps. A&M takes the Corp very seriously, so you will be given preference over other out of states with similar stats but who do not want to join the Corps (I believe this is how it works, but don’t quote me on it lol). </p>

<p>Aerospace does not fill up that fast as far as I know. It’s a great school for it, but it appears that not that many people are interested in such a hard major haha. Oh well, its their loss :p</p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC App</p>