Admission and a C grade

Can anyone recommend some reach, target and safety schools for business with above facts ? EC is mainly music related, singing, itunes/spotify release of original song written and sung with more to follow. Prefer close to cities

Did you mention your home state?Size? Greek life? Sports? Budget considerations?

Here are some schools to research. They do not all meet your geographical preference, but all have solid business schools.

Indiana Kelley
U of SC Darla Moore
UGA Terry (Edit: Athens has a great music scene)
Babson
ASU Carey
Penn State Smeal
Miami Ohio Farmer

1 Like

New jersey. Thank you. Babson, Indiana sound good , How about fordham, GWU,Drexel, U pitt? Dont want anything south of maryland/DC.

1 Like

Thanks.

Yes to Fordham, GWU, Pitt, etc
 I was trying to list others I hadn’t seen suggested by other posters. :smiley:

Rutgers, Rowan, UConn ?

Does your student have any career interests or is s/he still exploring?

Something to research is whether any of these require a secondary application to the business school. Some people prefer direct admit. If your student does attend a school with secondary admission to the business school, what is the Plan B if not accepted? (E.g. is econ an acceptable backup major?)

1 Like

My son had a couple of C’s, went to TCNJ for finance, has a great job now. My daughter got her masters of accounting from Rutgers New Brunswick, she’s a CPA with a great job (another company has been trying to poach her, apparently accountants are in high demand).

3 Likes

yes rutgers business is great . Congrats to your son and daughter! My daughter doesnt want finance or accounting however . exploring Other business majors

1 Like

She is interested in music and international business. what does secondary admit mean ? Sorry do not know. Is that general admit and then declaring business ? Plan B is Data science but not comp science. economics could be acceptable
 Overall she is still exploring business fields.

Some schools have a secondary application to their business school. The application may be available for freshman but often is not open until sophomore year. You’ll have to research the requirements at each school as some are pretty straightforward if a minimum GPA is met while others are very competitive for limited spots.

With her interest in international relations I’d add American.

If she wants to tie together her business and music interests, check out Belmont in Nashville.

(Note to @Mjkacmom I always forget about TCNJ
 thanks for the reminder :smiley:)

ETA: If she decides to look south of DC, both UGA and U of SC are great for IR. Also, College of Charleston. Paging @tsbna44 whose D is studying IR at CofC, I believe.

3 Likes

@pearl0607

This post in another thread gives very detailed information on four IR programs.

1 Like

I would also take advantage of the “COVID-19” question on the Common App or alternatively the “Additional Information” section to explain briefly why they received a C in those courses. And then also add that they did XYZ to improve their math skills and grades in 11th grade.

1 Like

We were told that one should not fill the covid 19 question unless very severe circumstances have occured in personal situation

It really depends on your personal situation. If your school was online much longer than all the other schools in your region or due to Covid staffing issues or if you chose online school over in person to protect an immunocompromised family member, I would recommend putting it under the Covid area. Otherwise, the “Additional Information” section would provide the same type of avenue to convey that information.

1 Like

school counsellor not giving Unweighted GPA saying they dont report to colleges.

1 Like

Colleges can just recalculate grades, I believe most common is 4 - A, 3 - B, 2 - C, 1 - D. High schools weigh honors/AP classes differently.

1 Like

Thank you. so C+ and B+ mean only C and B?

Her unweighted GPA is 3.55 for 9th and 10th grades together. what is the implication?

her unweighted GPA is 3.55 so far 9th and 10th. what is the implication?

@tsbna44 Isn’t your D an IR major? Do you have suggestions for this OP on schools to research?

1 Like

You can search and see what the average gpa is for accepted students, and compare unweighted if the average given is unweighted. My daughter had one B and about five A-, uw was a 3.9, weighted was only 4.2 even with 9 AP classes, rest honors. Good test scores can bump up the application.

3 Likes

If she is particularly passionate about a school she could go ED in the hope Cs will have less impact - also her Cs are not in courses that would be related to her intended business major. My D applied ED to GWU - she had one C (in physics) which was completely unrelated to her intended major (journalism) and her ECs were relevant (school paper all 4 years, editor in chief senior year) and test scores were good

2 Likes