Admission chances into Engineering

Hello
My daughter has a SAT score(NEW SAT) of 1420, but with low essay score, she is top 15% in her class. Member of NHS, couple other active volunteer hours. She has a 4.3 weighted GPA out of 5. Has done AP courses in Math, Chem,this year taking AP physics and AP Calc BC.She comes under Distinguished Plan for graduation.
She would like to do Chemical Engineering, what her chances?

Thank you

As long as she stays in the top 25% and her SAT meets the following she will be an academic admit to the university.

Total score of at least a 1360 with at least:
620 Math; and
660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)

I would say with her having taken AP classes in CHEM, PHYS and CALC those will all look very good on he application when she goes into the holistic review process for the College of Engineering. I would say she has a very high probability of being accepted.

Thank you for your feed back. Much appreciated.
Also, it is important that she maintains the class rank even at the end of senior year right? to make sure grades and ranks are consistently good.
Thanks

I don’t think her rank at the end of senior year matters too much. They will really just look at the rank at the time they apply. Obviously they need to do reasonably well their last semester but by that point they have already been accepted and I think they would have to have done pretty bad for the acceptance offer to be rescinded

Thank you!

Thank you! Do all applying for Engineering, even top 10%, do they have to go through Holistic Review?

Yes, all students desiring to major in the school of engineering have to go through holistic review. This is fairly new - so if you know older students, their admission process was different.

@Magic09 Yes, all applicants to engineering regardless of being automatic or academic admits have to go through an additional round of holistic review for admissions into the COE. This was a new process that began with the incoming class of 2021.

From the TAMU website:

“All applicants who select Engineering as a first choice major, including those who qualify for automatic admission to the University via Top 10% or Academic admission, will be reviewed holistically for placement into General Engineering. To qualify for Early Action notification, your admission file must be complete by October 15.”

Thank you all so much for the info.

@rosegeo

You are correct, I recall reading it was the first 6 high school semesters that counted for class rank/GPA.

If you look at my daughters SAT and school scores and grades above, does she have a fair chance for chemical Engineering in A&M college station itself?
Thank you

@Magic09 Students are not accepted into their major as a Freshman but are accepted into the COE as General Engineering majors with a preference for their specialty. All Freshman take the same classes their 1st year and then they apply into their major of choice at then end of their Freshman year. All of this information can be found on the A&M website and will explain it in detail. I believe your question regarding whether she can gain admittance to the university and the COE has already been answered above.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major

Thank you, what I meant was with her scores would she be able to get into College station campus or would they offer into Blinn team, Texarkana campus etc
Hope it makes sense.

Every year is different and that would be based on the quality of the applicant pool. I would say she has a very good shot at the CS campus with her SAT score and class rank making her an academic admit and the fact that she is taking AP CALC, CHEM and PHYS as I stated above. Apply early and make sure you send in all essays, A, B and C as well as outline any and all extra-curricular activities she has been in.

Bottom line being an academic admit with AP CALC, PHYS and CHEM under her belt will make her a very competitive candidate in holistic review for the COE. It is holistic review however and no one on this board is going to be able to tell you with 100% certainty that she will be admitted.

Thank you so much!