Admission Chances

<p>It’s not an either/or proposition. For a physician who graduated from college 35 years ago to take pleasure in dishing out “harsh realities” to anxious high school students isn’t “refreshing.” As Yavko2510 said, you can both tell the truth and be nice about it . . .</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. I appreciate it. </p>

<p>The question I have is what do you believe my chances are of getting into this University?(Percentages preferred)</p>

<p>Thank you again!</p>

<p>They dropped the chances chart with actual percentages a year or two ago. I made a copy of it and it showed a 50% for gpa- unweighted, academic- 3.5 and 60% for 3.6 with ACT 26. Those are old numbers, same scores could be more/less likely. Have alternates- and write good essays, plus have good recommendations.</p>

<p>really consider taking the ACT this September. If you can get that up to 30+, that would greatly increase your chances of getting into UW even with a slightly lower GPA. If you can get better grades 1st semester senior year, that might even bump up your GPA. Don’t give up. If you don’t make it, it’s not the end of the world. I think you have a pretty good chance at twin city and if you do well there, you can transfer to UW. Good luck!</p>

<p>I haven’t read through all the responses, but from what I skimmed, I have to say that people are not taking into account enough that you are the child of a tenured professor. Admissions offices are not stupid. If you are “admissible” they are likely to forgive a lot of things just because of that major connection. I have no idea about UW in particular, but politically it’s a bad move to reject a professor’s kid if they are likely to be successful in college, no matter what their background is. That does not mean you should not make yourself into the best candidate you can. And, of course, you need to apply to more than one school.</p>

<p>I sure hope all students are judged on their merits, not their parents’. Children do not always perform up to their abilities, and face the consequences if they lack the preparation they could have. Sometimes not getting into an expected college is a wakeup call to the child. It would be a tough situation for parents, but when does it end- should a professor’s child be cut some slack in the classroom because of who his parents are if s/he doesn’t choose to do the work? Students are probably best off at any institution but the one their parents work at.</p>

<p>Most public colleges can’t get away with favoring professors’ children in admissions that way that private schools can. I don’t think having a parent on the faculty means very much.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the advice! I got in with a 30 ACT and a 3.72 GPA. I wasn’t wait listed and received an acceptance letter in three weeks time.</p>

<p>Congratulations. Good job pulling that ACT score way up and improving the GPA.</p>