Admission GPA

I am a Junior in highschool looking to apply to UBC for computer science through the science program and am taking 4 ap classes, 2 of which are computer science classes, another being chemistry, and have an unweighted gpa of 3.62, I have heard that a gpa of 3.7 is likely required, is that by semester, or by year? and if by semester is that a steadfast cutoff, or is there a chance at me still being accepted in despite the slightly lower GPA.

Are you a Canadian student, or international (US or other)?

Official admission requirements are listed here: Admission requirements - UBC | Undergraduate Programs and Admissions
As long as you meet these requirements, admissions appear to be somewhat holistic (rather than having a strict cutoff like McGill), so I don’t know if anyone here can chance you based on your GPA. You may also be able to improve your grades in the remainder of your junior year, and in fall semester of senior year. UBC states that “in some cases we may be able to make an assessment on your Grade 11 grades, but for most students an evaluation will be based on 1st semester Grade 12 grades.”

You are probably aware that Computer Science at UBC requires secondary admission. You would start at UBC as a first year student, and then apply for CS. High School Students | Computer Science at UBC
I don’t have any information about how competitive this process is, or what your chances would be of gaining admission to CS. Are you comfortable with the possibility of ending up with a different Science major? If you are really set on CS, you may also want to consider schools with direct admission.

I am a Canadian citizen, but I am at an American highschool, and I had heard about secondary admission and am intending on also looking into other universities with direct admission, but UBC is my first choice.

1 Like

Another factor: For admissions purposes, UBC will convert your AP exam score to an average and assess that in addition to your grade in the class. A 5 is equivalent to 96%, a 4 is 86%, and so on.