Admission Process in Philips Andover

<p>^ yeah, i think so, since it said preliminary applications increased by 20%, i think the completed apps increased by 14.7%…
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :(</p>

<p>and
“There was a noticeable surge in the number of international applications from Canada”
:(… and what, kazakhstan? that’s kind of random, but nonetheless very cool!</p>

<p>Hey DAndrew - It’s all cool and you’ve been a good friend.</p>

<p>We’re probably saying the same thing different ways. </p>

<p>The reason why I worry about it on “this” board is that it’s often tapped as an excuse by students and parents seeking reasons why their children did not get in, or might not get in. (not you btw - but you know what I mean). Some take it to mean “if you’re white you don’t stand a chance.” I’m just trying to say there’s more going on than that and can cite white examples that don’t meet with such derision and ire on the boards who get in and may be less qualified than the URM sitting next to them. </p>

<p>Hey Big Blue! …</p>

<p>Thanks for your post on Andover. That’s why I liked them so much. They tend to look at candidates differently than Exeter and are a little less concerned about maintaining a status or reputation. Kind of makes me wish we hadn’t taken ourselves out of the running for a waitlist opening. I think Andover is terrific.</p>

<p>3820 candidate profiles??? Okay, I guess I’ve given up hope for Andover. I really liked Andover, it were one of my first choices. But, with 3820 candidate profiles submitted, I don’t feel I have a chance. Andover’s acceptance rate is going to go way down this year. I bet Andover’s acceptance will be around 11% or 12%.</p>

<p>ifax - Keep in mind that not all of those 3820 candidates actually competed their applications. Also, it doesn’t matter a bit how many other profiles were submitted . . . as long as they liked YOURS. :)</p>

<p>@dodgersmom,
Thanks! I think last year Andover received completed apps for 90% of the people who filled out the candidate profile. (Around 2800 applied, 3100 submitted candidate profiles…) But, I still hope they like mine enough to be willing to accept me. I guess I just have to wait a month and see.</p>

<p>GoBigBlue, thank you for posting that article. It does shed more light on the process–I applaud PA for releasing so much information about the process.</p>

<p>As a mother, I’m amused by:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ah…if my son’s rejected I predict I won’t nod and say to him, “Well, someone else was just nicer than you.” Oh, wait a minute, yes I will! and we will laugh, and we’ll have defused a difficult moment with laughter. :)</p>

<p>Sorry, that doesn’t work as Ms. Fried also said that they need a diverse student body which means they have to admit some mean kids. :D</p>

<p>But they don’t need to do that on purpose do they? There are always the hard-to-detect bad eggs slip through, and there are border line or contraversial cases that could go either way like you, pulsar.</p>

<p>It is more about ‘Fit’ instead of Good or Bad. Every school may have different reason to give an admission slip and it will be not who is better or worse. Andover is looking for a kid who is kind. I think it is because they’re one of the biggest BS schools. From essay, recommendations, and interview, they’re finding personality of students. Good Luck to everybody!</p>

<p>[Preparing</a> for the Envelope | The Dean?s Journal](<a href=“Private Site”>Private Site)</p>

<p>andover’s acceptance rate is 14% this year?!?!?!?!</p>

<p>oh this is just fantastic</p>

<p>We can conclude that there are at least 14% kids that are nice. Looks like I’m in. :D</p>

<p>If you’re denied, you’ll know that you just weren’t nice enough. So next time, don’t laugh when they kick the puppy. :D</p>

<p>JK Pulsar. I really hope you get this opportunity.</p>

<p>@GoBigBlue,
Thanks for posting the dean’s letter. Other than the statistics at the beginning, it is exactly the same letter she posted a year ago at this time–all the advice, etc. I think someone had posted it on another thread last year, and when I read this one, it sounded awfully familiar.</p>

<p>@neato, thank you for making me laugh this morning.</p>

<p>NYMom, Big factories recycle products. May be they were too busy shoveling snow this year and didn’t have time to write a new one. It’s timeless advice anyway. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>does anyone get in with low ssat scores if everything elese is good?</p>

<p>I have a question, and sorry if I get a little off track here, but here goes: I took the SSAT and did well but the essay I wrote was quite mediocre and the essay for the school (Exeter) from home was one of my best works. Is a rejection probable because of the bad SSAT essay? Help!!</p>

<p>Exeterr - no, if the file is good, a weak SSAT score isn’t necessarily enough to knock out a candidate. Especially since Adcoms know that other students are prepped extensively for the test and skew the average.</p>

<p>Don’t worry. I know a lot of good kids whose SSAT scores were not a concern even though they weren’t at the top. They went on to be some of the school’s top performing students. The Adcoms are aware of that when reviewing apps.</p>

<p>To those who think a sib is an in, I can tell you that it’s not. My child is at PA and LOVES it. Another child visitied the PA sibling very often and grew to love the place as well. The younger sib with decent SSATs, excellent faculty recommendatiions (they indicated he was kind and extremely helpful with the other children in the class) a real talent in music (multiple semi-professional performances) was waitlisted. I know that at this school, a waitlist is about as good as a denial.</p>

<p>I am heartbroken, but not bitter. Perhaps they did not see in him what they saw in my daughter. Perhaps they needed someone else for their talent. I can tell you that I have already seen in my child a redoubling of his efforts to succeed. I can see it already. He is sad but I am hopeful that he’ll bounce back. </p>

<p>I know our children have to learn to deal with rejection. The school is so wonderful and we wanted it so much ( we had visitied it so often over the years) that it’s just a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.</p>