Admission Requirements

<p>I would suggest doing this…</p>

<p>Send an email to:</p>

<p>David Cordes, PhD
<a href=“mailto:cordes@ua.edu”>cordes@ua.edu</a>
Professor and Department Head, Department of Computer Science
Director, Freshman Engineering Program
205-348-6363</p>

<p>Dr. Cordes is not only the Dept head for Comp Sci, but he’s also the director of Frosh Eng’g…so he knows a lot…and he’s VERY helpful!</p>

<p>Include any and all questions or concerns that you have. I’m sure Dr. C will give you a thorough response. </p>

<p>When I’ve emailed him in the past, he’s responded quite quickly. However, since this is July and people are on vacation, a response may take a bit longer. But, maybe not! :)</p>

<p>vlines: You live in Maryland? Southwest flies from BWI non-stop to Birmingham at least twice a day. We live in rural Virginia, and I make the trek to BWI a couple of times a year to pick up my son, who will be a junior this fall. </p>

<p>BTW, we lived in Maryland for many years. My sons are huge Ravens fans.</p>

<p>BamaAF, please tell your daughter not to rule out the chance to do research in college. Once she gets to UA, she may find her niche in a particular area and want to pursue it further. You do not need to be in CBHP or IHP to do research.</p>

<p>My D does not want the added burden of research, so while her stats may be competitive, does not want to apply for CBHP or IHP. Just being in the honors program (as I understand it) will add perks such as small classes,* early registration without lines,** honors listed on diploma, etc.*</p>

<p>LOL…you are a first time college parent. :)</p>

<p>Registration lines are from our stone-age college years. Kids don’t register in person anymore…it’s all done online…so no lines. :slight_smile: Kids have a date/time to register, when the time comes, they do it online from their dorms, homes, wherever! :)</p>

<p>As for research…</p>

<p>Since I hinted earlier that the Honors College would be implementing some positive changes within a few weeks, I will say that research for any who are interested will be available (not required!), but available. </p>

<p>No penalty for not doing research, but having opportunities available for all honors kids is important because many grad/professional schools/jobs are expecting to see some on the resumes. </p>

<p>And…as I mentioned earlier…fulfilling the req’ts for IHP will also be less complicated. :slight_smile: But, I can’t say more than that now. </p>

<p>BamaAF…what will be your D’s major and career?</p>

<p>lol – Thanks M2CK – yes, rookie here, and thanks momreads on the research advice…</p>

<p>Sounds good that there will be an opportunity to do research without the added burden of “having” to do it – might appeal to my D as she ususally does much more than she originally plans anyway.</p>

<p>Daughter was deciding between CS and MIS and visited both, met with both departments and decided on the MIS. The engineering scholarship was offset by the “opportunity” of departmental scholarships within MIS. These scholarships are not advertised, but from talking to current students are there for most of the students who apply themselves. There is also an “opportunity” for a 5 year Masters if she applys herself and is “invited” to participate.</p>

<p>Now as for career… She wants to prepare for business/IT/Program Managment in IT (If you look at the resumes of the MIS students on the MIS page, pretty impressive for young college students) ------ BUT she actually dreams of opening a dance studio and will be trying out for the Crimson Cabaret.</p>

<p>How hard is it to get from Birmingham to UA campus? When we visit, not an issue, we will rent a car. But for son coming and going on his own, I was wondering about that transfer from the campus to the airport. I did look at southwest and saw that they fly there! Yeah! Actually, I think Birmingham is their hub??</p>

<p>BamaAF: My son is in CBHP. He has a friend who double majors in French and MIS. She is currently spending the summer working as an intern (and paid quite well) at International Paper.</p>

<p>vlines: Birmingham is about an hour from T-Town. All interstate roads. As for transportation, there are numerous ways to get to the airport. During breaks, the school runs a shuttle to BHM. My son has had his roommates pick him up or drop him off at the airport. There are always kids heading in that direction, so do not be concerned.</p>

<p>How hard is it to get from Birmingham to UA campus?</p>

<p>Very easy.</p>

<p>the route is a straight shot west on I-20. Takes about an hour. </p>

<p>The B-ham airport is just off I-20…so you head west on I-20…and then Bama is just off I-20 as well. </p>

<p>From I-20, you exit at McFarland Blvd and go north to your hotel. Try to book at one of the recommended hotels…some are…</p>

<p>Hampton Inn on Harper Lee
Microtel on Veteran’s Memorial
Holiday Inn Express on Veteran’s Memorial</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am in UHP and IHP and am very familiar with CBHP and UFE. I would definitely say that there is a benefit to participating in the Honors Programs. Unlike the honors programs at many other universities, UA’s honors programs allow a lot more freedom in terms of participation and course requirements. We have students that seemingly live in the Honors College as they are so involved and those that take the bare minimum number of credits to graduate from an honors program and don’t become involved in any Honors College events/activities. </p>

<p>It is not necessary to be involved in Greek life unless that’s what one really wants to do. I do attend a few Greek-sponsored events each year and somewhat considered pledging, but I am a proud GDI (independent) by choice. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>FWIW, I did have to wait in line to register for courses at a community college and had to send a series of faxes to register for courses at another university this summer. I’m glad that UA has a great online registration system so I can register for courses quickly from the comfort of my dorm room.</p>

<p>I think you are confusing IHP with UFE (Fellows) as IHP does not have any research or community service requirements. That said, while CBHP and UFE are excellent programs, they are by no means necessary for success in the Honors College. I will say however that if one does get into CBHP, they should get to know Mrs. Batson (CBH alum and CBH Coordinator Extraodinare).</p>