Admission to Bama?

<p>Hi I’m an out of state student and a Senior.</p>

<p>My GPA is a 2.78 along with a handful of Honors/AP classes.</p>

<p>I have tons of Extra Curriculars and over 120+ community service hours.</p>

<p>My SAT score which I took in May was a 1170 (Yes I know it’s terrible, but I actually studied over the summer and now retaking the SAT this October)</p>

<p>What are the chances of someone like me to be admitted?</p>

<p>how are you going to afford it? the tuition alone is $21k for OOS…you’d be better off going to a CSU, which im pretty sure you can get into if you don’t shoot too high (for example, go for CSULA, not san diego state)</p>

<p>is that score SAT CR + M only? or with writing too?</p>

<p>The SAT score is with writing. That’s why I said it’s terrible.</p>

<p>And as for the tuition I’m planning on doing ROTC since I took it for 2 years during my freshman/sophomore years in high school.</p>

<p>But that’s not the answer I’m looking for… I wanna know if people with similar stats like mine can get accepted.</p>

<p>If you apply now. Early. You will likely get admitted. Is that sat 2 sections or 3. If 3 then bama may wait to see oct sat score.</p>

<p>Is that your weighted gpa. </p>

<p>For borderline stats bama likes a teacher rec and a writing sample. Since you did jr rotc you can use a rec from your rotc instructor too. The rotc at bama is very financially generous.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids</p>

<p>My weighted GPA is higher, but I’m not sure what it is at the moment I’m gonna have to ask my counselor.</p>

<p>And I’m going to probably end up applying around November 1st because I have to retake the SAT reasoning test in October.</p>

<p>How are you doing with sat practice tests. I want to find out if it is better to wait til after oct sat or to apply now and then send new scores. Hmmmmm. I’ll call admissions in the morn and ask.</p>

<p>Don’t wait til nov. If u list bama as a score recipient bama will get your new score about mid oct.</p>

<p>ROTC offers four-year, three-year, and two-year scholarships. The arships pay 100 percent resident or nonresident tuition; $1,200 per year for books; and a monthly tax-free stipend for 10 months of the year/month for freshmen, $350/month for sophomores, $450/month for s, and $500/month for seniors). All enrolled cadets are also eligible to ete for a number of awards provided by alumni endowments, ranging $200 to $1,000 per year. Army ROTC selects freshman scholars based h school GPAs, ACT or SAT scores, class standing, extracurricular ies, and scholarship interviews. High school students can apply online ur-year scholarships at [Army</a> ROTC | GoArmy.com](<a href=“http://www.goarmy.com/rotc]Army”>Army ROTC | goarmy.com). The deadline for four- cholarship applications is normally January 1 each year.</p>

<p>Well here’s the thing.</p>

<p>I’m afraid if I send in my terrible SAT scores now, that they’ll automatically reject me.</p>

<p>I’m doing alright on the practice tests. I’ve taken all 8 practice tests in the Blue Book.</p>

<p>I scored about 1500-1600 most of the time so I don’t know what to do.</p>

<p>Get everything ready. Find out what your transcript will say your wt gpa is. If 3.0 then I don’t think bama will reject you. Are you a urm</p>

<p>Btw. I’m in southern cal now. Where are u. I’m in yorba linda now at a church oktoberfest typing on cell phone. Lol</p>

<p>OP, stop beating yourself up…you can’t get in if you dont try</p>

<p>1500 is a big jump from 1170 (500 per section v 390) so maybe wait?</p>

<p>I’m in the West Los Angeles/ Santa Monica Beach area.</p>

<p>And I know I’m just worried about getting rejected.</p>

<p>Lol.</p>

<p>And what’s a urm?</p>

<p>I think if this is handled correctly you’ll be accepted. A urm is a minority. I was hoping u were close enuf to me that I could help u with your sat.</p>

<p>I’m Korean/Irish so yeah I’m a minority.</p>

<p>Why is that an advantage?</p>

<p>Being a underrepresented minority (URM) is an advantage when schools have Affirmative Action policies to help those students who are members of racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in the college population when compared to the state’s population as a whole. In California, Asians are not always considered URM’s and California state law (due to Proposition 209) prohibits race from being considered in the admissions process for CA public colleges and universities. UA has Affirmative Action policies and a small amount of Asian students who are US citizens/permanent residents, so I would think that it would help you get admitted to UA.</p>

<p>You should be able to apply now and have your October SAT scores sent to UA. </p>

<p>As for ROTC, UA offers both Army and Air Force ROTC. IIRC, Army ROTC gives out more scholarships.</p>

<p>I will call tomorrow to find out what’s the situation for someone who’s waiting for new test scores. </p>

<p>I know that other schools will wait and not reject until later scores are received. I imagine that Bama does the same since anyone who applies now, still has more months to improve scores. </p>

<p>Bama wants more Asian students so that should help. :)</p>

<p>yeah asians! :P</p>

<p>does the university have any “initiatives” for asian or generally “multicultural” students?</p>

<p>You may want to check the qualifying score for the SAT/ACT for ROTC scholarships. A year ago, one of my students needed at least a 1050 for Army but better than 1100 (CR and M) for Navy/Air Force. There is also a GPA requirement, he told me.</p>