Admission to Business School

<p>I will be applying to the business school after my first semester. I can hardly afford the out-of-state tuition, and need to get in the business school fast. I plan to study hard, but what student orgs or activities would you recommend me to participate in that would help me get into the business school? Also, is there a learning community for business students that doesnt have a ''nerdy'' reputation? Thank you in advance for any advice.</p>

<p>The SOB Dean is a little nerdy. I’d go for whatever SOB LC you can get into. Not that many nerds at UW anyway. Do some other volunteer work etc. Get a 3.5. Then no problems.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sorry, but as it currently stands you cannot apply to the business school after your first semester. Unless it is changing this fall and I was not informed of it, you need 24 credits in residence before you can apply in addition to the four pre-req classes. (Which you could use APs for) I think there is some sort of entrepenurial learning community, but that might be regarded as a bit nerdy. Don’t let that deter you though if it’s something that would interest you.</p>

<p>I would say just do some clubs like Finance and Investment Society, Sports Business Club, or anything that really interests you like Hoofers or even intramurals. All of that looks good on an application and shows there’s more to you than a student.</p>

<p>As far as getting in, just do your best on grades with a 3.5 at least and try and do well with your core pre-reqs as they have a separate GPA for that. Good luck</p>

<p>You apply to the business school during the semester in which you complete 24 credits in residence. If you take 12 credits in Fall 2010, and are registered for 12 or more credits in Spring 2011, you can apply to the School of Business by April 1st, 2011 and will be notified by June 30, 2011. These 24 credits must include the 4 pre-business courses unless you test out of them through AP scores or UW’s placement testing.</p>

<p>Now on to the original question:</p>

<p>Some excellent School of Business related activities to participate in:</p>

<p>Wisconsin School of Business Welcome Week activities: ice cream social, scavenger hunt, faculty dinner, free ‘Bucky Means Business’ t-shirt</p>

<p>Badger Business Buddies - one to one mentoring with your buddy, commitment is for one semester, activities are about twice a month and include topics such as what to wear (and not to wear) on a job interview, guest speakers on various topics, hints and tips with Albert Muniz (Director of Admissions) on your application, choosing classes for the 2nd semester</p>

<p>Badger Alpha Kappa Psi - business school fraternity, social activities and community service, freshmen/pledges learn more about the School of Business, what makes a good applicant</p>

<p>Ignite the Potential - early March seminar with business professionals and faculty for freshmen or other non-admitted students; inspiring, (space is limited, sign up on line a few months in advance), Friday night - business dress, Saturday seminar - casual</p>

<p>Business Learning Center (BLC) - free structured small group tutoring organized by Judy Cary in the BLC, sign up during the first week of classes, support available for Econ 101 and 102, Accounting 100, statistics and other entry level classes</p>

<p>Welcome to Wisconsin!</p>