Admission to TAMU Galveston

Hello All,
My son got admitted to TAMU Galveston for fall 2018 General Engineering Program. We applied for College Station. I was wondering if they assign the location based on the SAT/GPAs or is the assignment just random?

Also I was wondering, if we accept admission to Galveston General Engineering, what are the chances to get a transfer to CS for the intended major and when?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is a big decision as we are out of state and have not seen the campus nor have a sense of how things work in Texas A&M.
Thanks in advance!

@ToCollege2018 Here is a thread currently going that contains a lot of information. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2057244-a-m-engineering-galveston-p1.html

The college station campus for engineering is filled to capacity with qualified applicants (a lot of auto and academic admit students with some review) and when the spaces run out, they offer qualified applicants (mostly review) to complete their freshman general engineering classes at the Galveston campus. The classes are the exact same and the Galveston students will apply to a major during the second semester of freshman year, if they successfully complete the core class requirements.

No freshman is in an intended major. They are all in general engineering. It is the same if they are at College Station or Galveston or the engineering academy.

http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/

If they complete the core engineering curriculum, then they apply to a major. Here is info on how that works.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major

Here is some info on Galveston http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston

There is a preview day March 22 (info in the top link to the Galveston Thread).

Thank you very much for your quick response with the links. Could you please clarify what you meant above by “they offer qualified applicants (mostly review)” . Not sure “most review” means.
Thanks

@ToCollege2018 There are three types of applicants admitted to Texas A&M. Automatic admits, (applicants who are in the top 10% of their graduating class. Academic Admits (which is another form of auto admission) who are in to 25% of their graduating class and score at minimum a 1360 SAT or 30 ACT with specific minimum sub scores, which is open to in state, out of state and international applicants. Applicants who do not qualify for automatic admissions under the in state top 10% rule or academic admission, are considered (holistically) reviewed applicants.

Auto admit and academic admit applications are always reviewed first for admissions to the university and then for the engineering major. There are X number of seats for incoming freshmen into the general engineering program. A lot of those seats are filled up by the auto and academic admits applying to engineering. Not every auto/academic admit gets a seat. They must have the math readiness the college is looking for. There are some holistically reviewed applicants who get some of these seats in College Station. When those seats fill, they offer the Galveston location as an extension of the program. Galveston is not a system school but a branch of A&M and the students are Aggies. Most of the applicants to Galveston are holistically reviewed applicants that they ran out of seats to offer at College Station. Once these spots are filled, they offer the engineering academies. The “qualified” is that not every auto/academic/review applicant meets the qualifications for the major.

Thanks for the detailed info.

@ToCollege2018 You’re welcome; Congratulations on the Galveston Admissions. It is a great program. Some folks have a hard time with the admissions decision because it’s not the College Station campus and they put that over the big picture end result, besides the fact that the students are doing the exact same curriculum and applying Entry To A Major (called ETAM) as the College Station students. A lot of students and parents like it because it is much smaller classes and an ease into college. Students really get to know others in the program (vs 4000 freshmen in CS engineering).

You will want to apply for housing as soon as the portal opens.

Here are the next steps you should be completing. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston/next-steps.html.

Thank you Thelma! Yes, there is a general feeling I believe that Galveston is not at par with CS. It is hard to accept it but the fact that Galveston Freshmen and CS Freshmen have to go through the exact same procedure, course work in the first year and then apply for ETAM, makes us feel better.

One question we had is: what are the requirements for ETAM?

Some where I read that a certain GPA is needed for automatic entry to major of choice. If student doesn’t make the first choice then the second choice major/dept will review the student’s qualifications for entry to second choice major.

So what would happen if student doesn’t get into first or second choice major for whatever reasons?

Thanks in advance again.

@ToCollege2018
Here is the link about ETAM https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major.html

Check out the links to the right and Application Preview. There is a link at the bottom to see a sample ETAM application.

93% of eligible applicants got their first or second choice major and 86% got their first choice. If at the end of the ETAM cycle and an applicant was turned down for all of their listed choices (must put 3 and maximum of 5), then an advisor will work with them to place them into one of the engineering majors that has openings, which won’t include those on their list, since they were already turned down for that major.

A 3.5 guarantees a first choice pick but if you go through all of the majors, you will see the breakdown of the GPA’s that got into those majors, and many are lower than 3.5. That is just the assured guaranteed mark.

The Resources button has links as well.

Eligibility: Note that this program is evolving and what I type here may change at some point but this is how it stands this minute. All required courses, Calculus 151, 152, Engineering 111, Engineering 112, Physics 218 and Chemistry 107/117 must be completed with a grade of C or better. For example purposes, I will use Calculus 151, but the same is required of all of the engineering curriculum.

In April of a students freshman year (second semester), eligible students will apply for Entry To A Major (ETAM).

CAVEAT 1: A non eligible student is one who did not satisfy a required course in the engineering curriculum the first semester with a grade of C or better and is having to repeat it second semester. Example: Student made a D or F in Calculus 151 first semester. That student will retake Calculus 151 second (spring) semester. My understanding is that the student will still go through the process of applying, but it will be considered practice, as they are not eligible to be placed into a major.

CAVEAT 2: If that student does not successfully complete Calculus 151 with a grade of C or better second semester (Spring), they will take it again third semester (Fall). This is the last attempt given to the student to successfully complete the requirement with a grade of C or better. After that, they may be removed from the engineering program and will work with an advisor to find another major. This may require the student spend a semester in General Studies, to complete any necessary required pre reqs for the new major.

CAVEAT 3: If a student does not pass a required curriculum course the first semester (Fall) freshman year, again using Calculus 151, and DOES successfully complete it second semester (Spring), they will take Calculus 152 their third semester (Fall) and apply to the major in Nov. and receive a major decision in January, if they successfully completed Calculus 152.

CAVEAT 4: If the student does not successfully complete Calculus 152 in the third semester (Fall) they will retake it their fourth semester (Spring). The student will apply to ETAM in April. They need to pass this time in order to move forward and if they do, they will find out their major in June. If they do not complete the class with a C or better, there are rules governing 4th semester general engineering students that is new. I have not brushed up on the information. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/fourth-semester-general-engineering-program-student-policy

Hi, @ToCollege2018. I am speaking as a parent of a student contemplating accepting a Galveston spot, and lots of folks have had time to discuss here and mull this over. Of course, my main job is to support and help my student. Objectively, however, whether Galveston is in any real sense not “on par” is difficult to fully evaluate. The auto and academic admits to cstat may or may not be more committed or more qualified engineering students in all cases, the professors may or may not be better in all cases, and so on. The question of parity of high schools in Texas for ranking purposes is always subject to considerable debate, and students mature according to different timetables.

The smaller classes at Galveston may truly be advantageous, and college could be an easier social transition if students have a smaller peer group, and all with similar goals. My older son went off with outstanding credentials to a big, well ranked school and absolutely fell apart. He knows that his GPA will never be as it should be. There will be some very high scoring, well prepared, accomplished, and committed students at Galveston based on statistics and backgrounds posted here. There is not always much if any score advantage or even separation between some students headed to cstat and those headed to Galveston due to auto and academic admission.

Welcome to Galveston admit cohort. Please share your research with us.

Hi, we are from out of state and also contemplating about accepting TAMU Galveston admission offer for General Engineering. We hear that a GPA of 3.5 or above is auto admit to first choice major in CS. Even CS freshmen also have to go through the ETAM process. My only concern is what if both the first and second choice majors DO NOT accept the student at the end of first year. Will he/she have to keep continuing at TAMUG?
Being out of state, we don’t have much visibility into the student life at TAMUG without much student activities as CS. We do plant to visit sometime but it is a choice we have to make without much info on TAMUG campus, campus life, teaching quality etc…

@ToCollege2018 If a student is eligible to be accepted into a major, meaning they pass the first year core curriculum, then all students will find a place in CS. They can list up to 5 majors on the ETAM application in order of preference. If they are turned down by all 5 major departments, then an advisor will work with them to place them into an open major.

The only way they will remain in TAMUG is if they do not satisfactorily complete the core freshman curriculum and must repeat a class. So, when your student gets to CS from GV is pretty much up to him/her.

@ToCollege2018 When I called Galveston previously on a mundane matter, the engineering representative there was friendly and helpful. It is tough coming from out of state. Why not give them a call sometime and get an overall feel for the program? This goes double if you cannot come for a visit! I’m sure they’d be happy to speak with you! Thank you for this answer, @Thelma2.

Thanks for your feedback, Thelma2 on the ETAM.
And yes, MomHopesNxtGenAg, it is tough coming from out of state.
So we are planning to sign up for a tour to see how the Galveston campus and Dorms are. We wont be able to make for the Engineering day on 3/22 so we plan to take a regular tour that is offered every other Monday. Hopefully that will give us an idea. Someone else mentioned here that Galv campus is a suitcase campus. I am a bit worried about that too if the majority of freshmen leave campus on weekends.

Also, I want to add here that we are from California (hence a bit far away) and my son is contemplating between Arizona State University versus Texas A&M for mechanical engineering program. The only catch for us is that it is “Galveston Campus”.

@ToCollege2018 Here is the phone number I have for Engineering at Galveston 409-741-4381.
I hope you and anyone considering the Galveston program will consider calling and speaking with these folks.
My son has a scuba card and also wants to be that much closer to the SpaceX launch site in Boca Chica Village in south Texas. They may have launches while he is there in Galveston. He knew he probably wouldn’t get a College Station slot. He is OK with his situation, but every student is different. We in Texas wish you well.

Thank you very much for your wishes and for the phone number. We will call them and plan to take the campus tour.
Wish you all well too!

Hello All,

Just wanted to give all an update.

My son and I visited TAMUG on their college tour on 3/26. The day started with a presentation by the President Col Fossum followed by the Counselors. They did make it very clear that Galveston is a branch campus of CS. They are still under governance of Texas A&M CS. TAMUG students are Aggies! Tour guides took us for a walking tour of the campus. Lots of construction going on which shows growth. I am expecting lots of growth in TAMUG. The campus is small but in my opinion students can get lot more interaction with teachers. We did not get to see the dorm (Pacific hall). After the tour, we got to sit down with a counselor. All the counselors are genuinely helpful and ready to answer any questions. Impressed by their timely responses even via email.

Getting a 3.5 GPA should not be that hard but students need to put in good effort. Finally we have committed to TAMUG and signed up for NSC! My son is very excited about TAMUG and he is looking forward to his transition to CS next year. Good luck to all the future Aggies!

Once again, to allay anyone’s concerns, Galveston is a branch of CS, although much smaller than CS. Degrees are offered under the name of Texas A&M College Station.

Cheers!

Hello All,

Just wanted to give all an update.

My son and I visited TAMUG on their college tour on 3/26. The day started with a presentation by the President Col Fossum followed by the Counselors. They did make it very clear that Galveston is a branch campus of CS. They are still under governance of Texas A&M CS. TAMUG students are Aggies! Tour guides took us for a walking tour of the campus. Lots of construction going on which shows growth. I am expecting lots of growth in TAMUG. The campus is small but in my opinion students can get lot more interaction with teachers. We did not get to see the dorm (Pacific hall). After the tour, we got to sit down with a counselor. All the counselors are genuinely helpful and ready to answer any questions. Impressed by their timely responses even via email.

Getting a 3.5 GPA should not be that hard but students need to put in good effort. Finally we have committed to TAMUG and signed up for NSC! My son is very excited about TAMUG and he is looking forward to his transition to CS next year. Good luck to all the future Aggies!

Once again, to allay anyone’s concerns, Galveston is a branch of CS, although much smaller than CS. Degrees are offered under the name of Texas A&M College Station.

Cheers!

@ToCollege2018 Welcome aboard! May your son’s days at A&M Galveston and College Station be among the best of his life.

Thank you very much for your best wishes. Wish you all the very best to your son as well!