Admission to TAMU Galveston

Thank you very much for your best wishes. Wish you all the very best to your son as well!

Hi All, just wanted to see if anyone was able to select the fall 2018 freshman dorm room at TAMUG. We have not got any email to start room selection. Thanks a lot!

I don’t think my son has heard anything from Galveston ResLife. He would be in Corps housing per his original request, so I wasn’t expecting to hear about any choices. Would someone who would have a possible housing choice reach out to ResLife at Galveston? Their email address is reslife@tamug.edu. Please let us know what you find out.

My daughter was given her time slot earlier in the week for logging yesterday morning. When she got on around 2pm she said a lot of the rooms in Pacific were already taken. She already had a roommate, but ended up with 2 sophomore suite mates she doesn’t yet know.

My son received a student email in his tamu.edu Inbox saying that his time slot was activated yesterday morning.
The email instructions were a little confusing, so I will share some tips.
The email says go back to the (housing) application. You need to go back to the tamug.edu website where it says “Apply Here” (for housing). Google to find the TAMU Galveston housing application website again. Click on Apply Here (even though you have already applied and presumably have your room selection timeslot). The next page has the tabs that the original timeslot assignment email referred to. Click on the “Application” tab at the top of the page. Because my son was already signed into Howdy in a mistaken notion that he needed to access housing there, there was no separate login to this reslife.tamug.edu website. They already knew who was accessing the application through login carryover. I am sure they would prompt you for login otherwise…
Note that there is an informative video on how to use the website to pick a room with any confirmed roommates, etc. right after you click on the Application tab.
My son had no room selection ability on this website because freshman Corps have assigned rooms (they can pick a roommate, however). That step was just not available.

Thank you all for the responses. We had not signed up for the Tamu.edu email. Once we did that, there were emails on the inbox of my son’s tamu.edu account for the time slot. If we had known that the time slot is notified via tamu,edu account, we would have checked. There is no notification from reslife that we have to activate the tamu.edu account in order to get info on the time slot for housing app. We then followed the instructions as MomHopesNxtGenAg mentioned here and was able to pick the rooms. Yes, Pacific halls are being filled up. The housing app process is not very easy to follow in my opinion and needs improvement. We would have waited forever to get notified of housing app time slot. Key is that you have to get the tamu.edu account activated immediately and also check it regularly.

I have not been on here in a great while, and should have! This same thing happened to my son, @tocollege2018. After acceptance to Engineering at Galveston he was waiting for emails in regular email. He just figured this out and set up the tamu email this week, seeing all the emails. He was able to get a dorm room and suite mates in Atlantic, but still needs a roommate. Anyone have an awesome Freshman son looking for a roommate? Cold room, non smoker, bed 10-12, super clean. Or anyone know where Tamug moms hang out so I can post there?

@shiver17 @ToCollege2018
Congratulations on your Engineering at Galveston admission.
While I am not keeping any stats for this next cycle of applicants, I would love to have your applicants stats from last cycle
Class Rank percentage and number X/XXX (or assigned)
SAT/ACT score with sub scores
Auto/Academic/Review Applicant?
date applied
Date notified (approx) of admissions
EC’s, clubs, leadership, Engineering Specific activity, etc.
Thanks.

In the next day or two, I am going to post the class 2021 and class 2022 Engineering Admission Stats for full admission to CStat, Galveston, Blinn Engineering Academy, and PSA. No screen names given, just rank, scores with sub scores.

Hello everyone,
All the spring 2019 is almost half way, everyone must be thinking of ETAM now for moving to CS in Fall 2019.
Just thought of starting the discussion. My son is in Galveston and started in Fall 2018. Wonder how this year is going to look like for ETAM stats.

@ToCollege2018 We parents of kids soon going into ETAM would love to hear your son’s experience with the process. Maybe we should start an ETAM thread. It’s sort of like another admission process…

YES… y’all should start this thread. With so many deciding on academy, psa etc, this will be so helpful to the future students as well as the current ones like your kiddos!!!

Yes, I think we should start ETAM thread. It will be very helpful to share info. Its an admission process in itself!

My son will start ETAM this April. He is in Brenham and I will be happy to pass along info (if my son shares anything). For those who have been accepted into TAMU Engineering congratulations! One cautionary note. A 3.5 is very hard to achieve. It takes a great deal of self discipline. Lots of students who excel in math struggle with engineering because of the conceptual aspects required of the major. Take the placement exam seriously. You will be studying outside of class 30 plus hours a week. The chemistry and physics classes you take are not regular chemistry and physics. It is all calculus based. My son took AP physics in high school and they had blown by his entire senior year in 3 weeks.

Hi Trinley:
Could you clarify, what placement exam you are referring to here? I thought ETAM was based ONLY on grades at the end of the spring semester for Fall ETAM. Hope there are no additional tests.
I agree on the 3.5,its very hard to achieve. I wonder if there are any statistics on ETAM from prior years.
Thanks!

Chiming in here to calm your fears… @trinley would be referring to the math placement exam (MPE) that you will take at your summer New Student Conference (NSC). The ETAM process uses your grades and also considers your extracurricular activities, work, and relevant accomplishments. You might take a look at the ETAM application ahead of time (no need to fill out to view).

yes I was referring to the MPE. should have been more clear. There are ETAM statistics from prior year 2017 I think. I don’t have the link.

HI
My son has the same case for 2019. how you manage transfer at CS? did you get required major eg electrical, mech or aerospace ? please do reply

Hi
Thanks to trinley and MomHopesNxtGenAg for clarifying the placement test question I asked. Regarding the link to the prior year ETAM stats, I was not able to see it at TAMU site. Please send if any one of you have any info.
I will start a new ETAM thread.

@pbleigh has added a thread with some ETAM data that was calculated from recent posted data. It shows very few ETAM additions to a couple majors last cycle and more to a couple others.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2132365-tamu-etam-statistics.html#latest
I’m sure we could find old ETAM data cached in Internet archives, but ETAM is very dynamic overall right now due to clear experimentation by TAMU.