Admission to TAMU

My son applied for Business School at Texas A&M college station with Communication second choice. He applied way back in August. Two of his friends that applied at least a month or two after him have already received their notification that they’ve been accepted to Blinn Team. Can someone shed some light. It’s been grueling to say the least. Any advice would help at this point. Thank you in advance

He is most likely a review candidate. Is he in top 10%?

@criss what are his stats? Business has been full since the Fall, so if he were to get in, it would be under Comm. But provide his stats and I can tell you how hes comparing to those still waiting.

@AggieMomhelp I’ve read through this forum and a few others re: transferring into Mays. Hope you don’t mind, but I have a few questions as a fellow mom. My son just finished his freshman year at Texas Tech and is now expressing interest in transferring to Mays. (Honestly, TAMU was always his first choice, but due to a series of events, we didn’t get his app in on time.) He has a 4.0 and 28 hours, however he still needs 5 of the required classes. He can take two summer classes and the last three in the fall. He would apply with 49 hours and have 60ish by fall 2020. Is that enough hours to apply? Also, he would consider taking the MGMT 211 class via Blinn online while at TT. He called and asked to speak with a Mays advisor and they told him there is no one to speak with - that all of the info is online. That confused me bc I thought I read on one of these forums that his first stop should be a Mays advisor. Should we just go to an admissions counselor here in Houston and speak with them about it? He visited TAMU as a HS junior but not since then. Would it be beneficial to take another trip to campus? Thanks for your wisdom and any insight you can give!

@txmom2four MAYS advisors are honestly known as being the worst to speak to unless you are already a student. It’s extremely frustrating to say the least.

What classes has your son already taken? And yes, do MGMT 211 at Blinn online. SUPER easy but lots of work (easy A). 60 hours or less is desired by TAMU for transfer.

Thanks for the reply @AggieMomhelp! He has taken both MATH plus the ENGL requirement. His Econ class and Mass com class don’t look to meet the RQs for Mays. So he still has both Econs, both ACCT and the speech req. He can take one of each over summer and the 2nd courses plus speech in fall. What do you think about another campus visit? He can also stay at TTU and do their honors program, so he’s struggling with whether to “go for it” with Mays or stay put and do honors.

Ugh that’s so frustrating. I wonder why Econ won’t work. Most take one of them for dual credit.

If he hasn’t taken a tour since HS, then yes, maybe taking another tour this summer may give him some insight/perspective. Tech is such a great school. I know so many that go there or have graduated from there (all employed lol). Business to me is one of those degrees that it really doesn’t matter in the long run where you get your degree from. TAMU has a great network, don’t get me wrong, but so do other schools. By being in the honors program, he’ll get a leg up on internships, research, status on everyone else. Internships are the key. Do you know where Tech sends most of it’s business honor students for internships? For instance, Arkansas does a lot with WalMart of course, but then they mentioned so many others in Dallas area. SMU lists it internship programs as well.

Ask your son to look at where he wants to go with his degree (he may not know yet and that’s okay) but look at the opportunities both schools have to offer and weigh those. Not to mention, TAMU isn’t a sure thing… even with a 4.0.

The business school @ TT only requires a one semester Econ class that is basically both Econ semesters combined (and abbreviated). 9 of his hours would count towards electives, most likely, with Econ included. I’m pretty sure he’ll apply and give it a shot but be content if it doesn’t work out. He’ll visit campus again next week. Thanks for your input/advice!