Admission with low gpa but pretty okay SAT score

Hey all,

I wanted to know if UC’s would accept someone that has a pretty low SAT score (3.1 uc weighted) but a SAT score of 1980. Say they had an upward trend from pretty low in sophomore year (2.7) to 3.3 in junior year. Would it be possible to get into any UC?

Also…the UC minimum requirements say that you need to get a C or above in all classes. If someone were to fail one and retake it and get a good grade in summer school, does that still automatically disqualify them from admission?

Thanks everyone.

With a UC GPA of 3.1, your only chance may be UC Merced and possibly UC Riverside. If you have extenuating circumstances that contributed to your low GPA, you can address them in your essays which could help your chances. Retaking a failing grade will not disqualify, only if you did not retake the class would this be a problem, especially if it is an a-g course requirement. You do have to report both grades for the repeated class, but the higher grade will be used in the UC GPA calculation.

I’ll add to what Gumby said, if you have a circumstance that pretty much damaged your high school experience in terms of academics, you should definitely address it. This was the case with me, but my personal statements and ECs is what got me to get a supplemental from UCLA and UCSD…and I have a 3.04 GPA w/ a 1460 SAT. It’s remarkable. Even if I get denied, I’m proud that I got this far. Some applicants who don’t even meet the UC requirements get into UC Berkeley and UC Los Angeles, I am dead serious you can look up the freshman admission profiles.

If you didn’t have any circumstances and you had an ideal environment to study in but you just didn’t take advantage of it, I really don’t recommend UCs to be honest. Here’s the acceptance rates for people who had your GPA last year:

UC Berkeley: 3,766 applied, 47 accepted…1.2% acceptance rate
UC Davis: 5,560 applied, 140 accepted…2.5% acceptance rate
UC Irvine: 7,588 applied, 255 accepted…3.4% acceptance rate
UC Los Angeles: 6,024 applied, 56 accepted…0.9% acceptance rate
UC Merced: 4,002 applied, 1,565 accepted…39.1% acceptance rate
UC Riverside: 6,737 applied, 1,426 accepted…21.2% acceptance rate
UC San Diego: 5,837 applied, 63 accepted…1.1% acceptance rate
UC Santa Barbara: 7,263 applied, 62 accepted…0.9% acceptance rate
UC Santa Cruz: 6,723 applied, 594 accepted…8.8% acceptance rate

@elefish92 Can you post that link? I used to have it, but lost it!

@Autumnal

UC freshman admission profiles for fall 2015: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/profiles/index.html

UC admission by exception: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/admission-by-exception/index.html

@elefish92 Thanks!