Admissions Stats for the Accepted Class of 2014

<p>Average GPA: 3.96
50% GPA Range: 3.71-4.17</p>

<p>Average SAT: 1250
50% SAT Range: 1160-1340</p>

<p>Basically, the average GPA increased by .02...that was it. Kind of surprising in this economy, but at the same time, the school was BIG on out of state students for the $$$$ since the economy is so bad. </p>

<p>These are still very competitive stats for what's considered a "self-selective" school in admissions circles. Basically, people don't apply to VT unless they know they want to go there. HS Seniors don't apply to VT if it's a reach in the same way one might apply to an ivy league school. VT has a very very small standard deviation of stats in comparison to other schools.</p>

<p>Anyway, it's whateva!</p>

<p>Wow, I’m kinda surprised I got in with my GPA looking at all that. Thank god for early decision, lol</p>

<p>Are these stats for people who were accepted, or are they for people who will actually attend Tech? I feel there is a big difference, and schools that use the former are being misleading.</p>

<p>albert92, you applied early decision with lower stats and were accepted?</p>

<p>anonyms, agreed.</p>

<p>These are the numbers for admissions offers, not enrolled students. I don’t think it’s misleading for a school to report these, though, so long as they make clear that they are. The numbers are designed to let an applicant know the competition she faces in the application process – not who she’ll actually be going to school with.</p>

<p>GPA-wise yeah, I had around a 3.6ish . Though talking with my guidance counselor and the assistant director guy from admissions; I worked really hard and ended up pulling my gpa to a 3.94 at the end of the year. I also highlighted my extra-curriculars which were focused on volunteering and leadership. Hard work, but the worst part is…</p>

<p>my parents opened my admissions acceptance letter, I found it with a coffee stain on it. <em>Note to future college parents</em></p>

<p>my parents opened my admissions acceptance letter, I found it with a coffee stain on it. <em>Note to future college parents</em></p>

<p>Sorry to hear that. My daughter’s bf’s mom opened all of his acceptance letters. He didn’t get to open one. Needless to say, I heard he was very upset, something he didn’t tell his mom. Parents, this is their time, have some self control.</p>

<p>Why would schools not use the accepted student stats, rather than the students who actually go there? You have to get into the school in the first place before you consider who actually goes there.</p>

<p>That said, here is what the actual class of 2013 looked like, at least at the beginning of the 09-10 school year:</p>

<p>Percentage of enrolled freshmen in top 10% of high school class 44.0%
Percentage of enrolled freshmen in top 25% of high school class 85.0%
Percentage of enrolled freshmen in top 50% of high school class 99.0%</p>

<p>IMO, this is a better and more standard way to assess the true quality of incoming freshmen, academically across all high schools.</p>

<p>The middle 50% SAT was 1110-1310.</p>

<p>GoTechGo, actually they have reduced their OOS acceptances because the state mandated that they bring it down. Many parents who pay VA taxes were getting ticked that their kids with strong stats weren’t getting in, because of the amount of OOS.</p>

<p>MD also lowered their OOS stats too. I think this is the first class yr that it has come down to 25% OOS instead of 30% from prior yrs.</p>

<p>People need to also understand that the school looks for diversity within the state, they don’t want Tech to become VATech NOVA, thus, some with lower stats will get in based on where they reside. Additionally, certain programs will have higher stats based on the competitiveness, i.e, architecture is more competitive than sociology.</p>

<p>We are from NOVA, and if you weren’t in the AICE/IB/AP program at our hs you got a thanks, but no thanks right out the door. If you were in these programs and you were graduating below the 10% class rank you got, the wait and see letter. This school is only one of 2 AICE schools in our county. However, because Tech is desired there are alot of applicants. When the Tech rep came last yr, she met with students and gave them a frank response if they would get in or not. My DD sat on pins and needles because the rep said maybe. She applied ED and was deferred to the RD. Every student that this rep met got the decision she thought they wold get.</p>

<p>Our DD’s stats were
1290 SAT
4.17 w
35 out of a class of 386
AICE diploma
5 AP’s, no easy ones (APUSH, APGOV, APEURO, APLIT, APENG)</p>

<p>And many EC’s. As I stated she got deferred to RD with these stats Out of 10 people she knew applying, only 3 got in (1 was a wait list). Both my DD and the other child accepted Tech, the waitlist student will be attending JMU unless Tech offers them a spot.</p>

<p>^ I was from NOVA and accepted even though under 25% (at the time of acceptance; I happened to just make 24% by graduation, though (HAH…)).</p>

<p>Well actually the state hasn’t mandated anything of that nature, especially because of the Virginia Higher Education Restructuring Act. Basically, because Virginia Tech only gets 25% of its funding from the state, the General Assembly has allowed UVA, W&M and VT to govern and make final decisions on many of its operational affairs.</p>

<p>This Act does not stem from “oh, we’re VT and we really just want to become semi-private” but rather comes from the state’s inability to fund all our schools since they’re cutting back so much on education. In response to that, the state had no justification to have so much of a say in our school and at the same time, be providing so little funding. Thus the VHERA was born to find that balance.</p>

<p>Part of this act is to always maintain a sort of “6-year plan” that’s updated on odd numbered years. The overall 6-page introduction which provides an overview of the 6-year plan says the following under the “Scholarship of Undegraduate Education” paragraph:</p>

<p>“The current undergraduate mix of 70% in-state students and 30% out of state students provides an excellent balance among academic competitiveness, student diversity, and financial necessity.”</p>

<p>To me this means we “negotiated” with the state, as part of this act that 70-30 is now going to be the “going rate” to conform to the VHERA sort of like UVA has the 2/3-1/3 thing going now. In my opinion, because VT obviously has this 70-30 thing approved by the state since it was accepted by the General Assembly and was marked as conforming, I believe VT, regardless of what the % is now, will try to do what it can to get this 70-30 ratio.</p>

<p>Does vtech look at the writing score a lot ? and why is v tech becoming a really competative school every year? anyone know why?</p>

<p>There’s more qualified applicants each year, and couple that with VT accepting less students as of late.</p>

<p>4.156 GPA
1230 SAT - 640M/590CR
10/400 Rank</p>

<p>Could I get in with a below average SAT?</p>

<p>Who in the world waits for an acceptance letter instead of just checking online? To VT at least.</p>