Admitted students day

<p>I just called U of Miami to ask when their admitted students day is, since we are trying to plan a visit.
Sunday, April 2nd is the day and invitations will be sent early March.
Be aware, I called a couple of the hotels on the U of M website and they are either sold out or do not have the U of Miami rate available for that weekend, and hotels in the area are quite expensive. If you are thinking of going that weekend and need a hotel, I'd advise booking now.
We have family in Ft Lauderdale and are probably going to stay there.
Now for a problem...D is the only "real" pitcher on her varsity softball team. If she makes finalist for a scholarship at another school, she has to go there for 4 days and miss a game, 3 days later we would be leaving for Miami and she would have to miss 2 more games. I'll have to see what she says....However, her team stinks and her not being there for a few games probably wont make a difference in the long run, but it is the 1st 3 games of the season..oh what to do!</p>

<p>Thanks for the information, Yankeegirl.</p>

<p>yankeegirl, do the student prospects stay on campus during the admitted students weekend?</p>

<p>Curm..it's not a weekend, just a day. They refered to it as an "open house" for admitted students.</p>

<p>Well, do they stay on campus overnight? I'm asking as D may be flying in solo and I want to know whether she needs a hotel.</p>

<p>Wow....I called the Holiday Inn accross the street the other day and got a discounted UM rate for fall commencement. Perhaps I got the rate due to length of reservation? Anyway....I know to get the discount rate at the Holiday Inn, you MUST contact the hotel directly, not through the web site. </p>

<p>For those of you who don't mind a quick drive....Also try the Wyndom Grand Resort in Cocconut Grove. It is nice, and I've gotten a really good rate there through Price-line.......</p>

<p>There is no formal overnight program at UM so she would either need to make private arrangements with a student to stay with them (happens all the time), or else get a hotel. If she is by herself, the Holiday Inn is definitely the best choice as it is within walking distance.</p>

<p>If she wants to stay on campus, I'm sure some of the current students or parents here could help you hook her up with someone. Admissions may also be able to give you some contacts of current freshmen that have similar interests. Wish<em>it</em>was_April's S hooked up with some lacrosse kids that way and did an overnight with them last year. They can also help set up scheduling of classes kids may want to sit in on.</p>

<p>Other hotel recs for families are the Marriott Dadeland, Omni and in Coconut Grove the Mutiny is an all suite hotel that we love. Airfare into FLL is often cheaper than MIA although farther from the school. </p>

<p>Here is a great Miami visit report for those who haven't already seen it.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=35600&highlight=miami+visit%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=35600&highlight=miami+visit&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I called the Holiday Inn, they said the rate wasnt available that weekend.
I was quoted $183.40 for Fri & Sat and $132.40 for Sunday.</p>

<p>Oh and by the way, if anyone is coming from the NY/NJ area, I got a great deal on airfare. Jeblue from JFK to FT Lauderdale..Fri-Mon $516 for the 3 of us RT.</p>

<p>I can't schedule anything until I find out the aid they are offering me. This stinks! Does aid come out Feb 1st?</p>

<p>A2
If you are talking about aid other than merit based don't forget you won't be packaged until you file your FAFSA..so you had better concentrate on getting that done if you havent already!</p>

<p>Yup, did it January 2nd, lol.</p>

<p>for hotels, we've stayed at the Biltmore Hotel (beautiful hotel if you can get a UM rate) or the Marriott Dadeland (not the Courtyard Dadeland)</p>

<p>I live 20 minutes away =)</p>