ADN OR BSN

Hi My name is Elisha and I want to be a neonatal Nurse practitioner . I am a Senior this year and I need to know what’s the best path to take. Should I just go straight for a BSN degree or get my ADN Work for awhile then go into an adn-to-Bsn degree. Please help me! I want to get started on my applications and Fasfa as soon as I get this settled

I would suggest going straight for a BSN. You’ll need more education anyway to become a nurse practitioner, so I think getting an ADN/working would slow your education down.

If the finances work and the admissions work, it is best to get into a direct entry BSN program that guarantees you admission into the nursing major (as long as you continue to meet minimum GPA, etc).

An associates degree program that allows you to take the RN exam is a fine backup plan. It is a good alternative for people who cannot find an affordable 4 year degree program or who have family obligations that prevent them from going to college for 4 years, etc.

The BSN will offer the widest employment choices. However, there are still many employers who will hire a RN with an associates degree, and many of those will assist with continuing ed costs.

Consider the nurse practitioner to be a long term goal. You are unlikely to be admitted into that type of program until you have substantial experience.