Advice about engineering

<p>Ok, so this is my first post. I took a few years off from school to really figure out what i wanted to be. Now I am 22 and work for Mediacom, cable company, and have finally come to the conclusion that i want to be and engineer. I like the amount of doors it opens up for you without really closing to many in the process. I didn't do overly outstanding in high school. I did not take any calculus or anything higher, small town with bad Councillors. My question is what should i do to prepare for engineering? Can i just dive in and start? I feel i'm able to learn anything with time. No one in my family has gone to collage and they seem comfortable working the "family business". I am just looking for a little bit of guidance on a good starting point. Thank you for your time</p>

<p>Go to your library and see if they have any calculus books that you can read/ work through, also go online (I think MIT might have free lectures online for Calculus, and also look up Khan Academy). You might also want to brush up on Excel. </p>

<p>Engineering is mentally challenging and time consuming. The biggest challenge is learning what you’re going to be tested on fast enough to do well on the exams and homework really. Make sure you can make the commitment, after all, one semester of college can set you back tens of thousands of dollars.</p>

<p>Also, maybe polish up the writing skills? A lot of engineers will say stuff like “oooh, I went into engineering so I wouldn’t have to write stuff,” but effective written communication skills are a staple of being an engineer. Many professors of mine have complained about some of my classmates writing skills…</p>