Advice for an aggie 2012 fall freshman?

<p>I'll be majoring in biology, planning on going to medical school.</p>

<p>How much will it help me if I have credit for all of these classes through AP tests? My goal is to finish my undergrad degree as fast as possible with the highest GPA possible. The reason I am not trying to claim credit for science classes is because they are pre-reqs for med school and a lot of med schools want to see you actually take the class at a university.</p>

<p>-U.S History
-Macroeconomics
-Government
-Statistics
-Calculus AB
-English literature
-English composition</p>

<p>i found this on the a&m website, it's the credit given for each AP test. for some reason, it says it's for honors students though..
<a href="http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/PDFfiles/AP.PDF%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/PDFfiles/AP.PDF&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>by the way, if i got full credit for all of those classes, it would be 31 hours.</p>

<p>I would try to get credit for everything except Calculus AB since you are a Biology major. Everything except Calculus are just credits that everyone needs to get a degree and none of them are vital to your major, really. Calc is a tough one, though. Even if you get a 5 on the AP test, your adviser will still recommend that you take MATH 141 (or 151), which is Calculus AB. The main reason is because you need to know all of the material covered in Calculus AB in order to understand Calculus BC (MATH 142/152), which you will also need to take. </p>

<p>On the bright side, though, MATH 141 should be an easy A for you next year!</p>

<p>totally agree with Megarooski</p>

<p>Definitely start off with calculus one. Skipping both cal 1 and 2 is ok if you did well in BC-I found multivariable to be much easier than cal 2. DON’T start off in cal 2, its probably the hardest in the sequence and starting with it your first semester isn’t a good idea</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice guys! I better start studying hard if I want to knock out those other 6 classes.</p>

<p>will i need credit for ENGL 203? or just ENGL 104 and ENGL 241?</p>

<p>and also will i need credit for HIST 104 or just HIST 105 and 106?</p>

<p>i’m confused about all of this…</p>

<p>also, i’m not sure if i’ll need the credit. but if i do, is it worth it to frantically self study AP environmental science, AP psychology, and AP human geography in the next 2.5 months before AP tests?</p>

<p>bump10char. i would appreciate any help. I need to register for my AP tests fairly soon.</p>

<p>If you go on each school’s website they normally have the degree plans available to download. I believe this is the one for biology <a href=“http://www.bio.tamu.edu/UGRADINF/2011Degrees/BA%20BIOL%202011-2012.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bio.tamu.edu/UGRADINF/2011Degrees/BA%20BIOL%202011-2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt; it looks like you only need ENGL 104</p>

<p>^thanks so much for the link. </p>

<p>i think i’m going to take the AP tests for Statistics, Macroeconomics, Human Geography, Environmental Science, Psychology, U.S. History, and U.S. Government this May.</p>

<p>I don’t really see much of a reason to take the English Literature AP test based on that link.</p>

<p>But hopefully the other test’s credit will make my time at A&M a little bit easier.</p>

<p>have you ever done AP tests before? that seems like a torturous amount. I’m in 5 AP classes this year (Calc BC, Macroeconomics, US Gov, Physics C, and English Lit [though I probably won’t take the english one]) and I’m already fretting.</p>

<p>^yeah i know it IS going to be torturous lol, but I’ve taken 12 AP classes during high school, so i’m used to it. </p>

<p>Luckily the ones i’m self studying (human geo, psych, environmental science) are all easy, and i only need 3’s for credit.</p>

<p>statistics will be an easy 5, even though i only need a 3. U.S History will be a retake (i got a 3 last year due to not studying, but A&M wants a 4). And then Macroeconomics and Government will both require minimal studying as i took the classes this year.</p>

<p>I think it’s doable, as long as I can cram in psych, human geo, and enviro. sci. in the next 2.5 months for the 3’s.</p>

<p>Just a warning… i am planning to major in cell& molecular bio. i will be a freshman in fall 2012 too. some med schools don’t accept AP credit for prerequistes. u may want to check on that.</p>

<p>ditto that.</p>